- 2 T. coconut oil or butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 T. fresh ginger, minced (The Ginger People company makes a nice jarred minced ginger that's a great time saver)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 T. sweet curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- dash cayenne powder
- 1 10-oz. bag frozen peas
- 1-2 cans chick peas/garbanzo beans (depending on how "beany" you like it), rinsed and drained OR about 2 cups or so of cooked, diced chicken
- 1 quart broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 can coconut milk (look for this in the Asian/Thai section of the store)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 scallions, sliced, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked rice (optional)
In a soup pot, saute onion, celery, and carrots in the oil with about 1/2 tsp. of salt until a little soft, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and half of the garlic, cook for about 30 seconds. Add spices and zucchini, then cook for a minute or two.
Add the frozen peas, beans or chicken, broth, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 20-30 minutes (or less, if you're in a hurry!).
Stir in the lemon juice and some of the cilantro and/or scallions, taste to adjust seasonings. Offer extra cilantro and/or scallions for toppings, as well as cooked rice if desired. A dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt wouldn't be out of place here, either.