Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

ge ice dispenser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:24 PM

I need some guidance in repairing my ice dispenser.  It makes ice cubes and dispenses water.  However, it will not crush or dispense cubes.  It sounds as if the motor may have gone.  How do I fix it?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:25 PM

[user=0]harkenco[/user] wrote:

I need some guidance in repairing my ice dispenser.  It makes ice cubes and dispenses water.  However, it will not crush or dispense cubes.  It sounds as if the motor may have gone.  How do I fix it?

This is not an IM6. There is no on/off switch or LED lights.  Build date was 5/1996

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

Doesn't matter if it's an IM6-- this problem is somewhere between the dispenser switch and the augur motor. Do you hear the augur motor trying to turn?

Post your model number so we can pull diagrams on it.

#4 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:49 AM

tfx25jr is the model of the f/f.  When you push on the ice dispenser button you can hear a buzzing and sometimes get 1 or 2 ice cubes to drop into the chute.  They do not drop thru the flap though.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:56 AM

Ah, good. Remove the ice reservoir and activate the ice dispenser, see if the augur motor coupler in the back is tunring. You could also have a problem with an ice bridge in the reservoir preventing ice from getting down into the dispensing screw. But, if the augur motor drive coupler is turning normally, then we know the problem is in the ice reservoir.

#6 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

Okay so whats the bad news.  The coupler is not turning. 

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

The force is telling me your auger motor is frozen.  Pull out the icemaker.  Pull out the auger assembly.  Take a hair dryer to the auger motor until it's dry.  re-install it and try it.

IF this happens again anytime soon, write back and we'll tell you a neat trick to stop it for good.

#8 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:19 PM

Next dumb question.  How do I remove the auger assembly?  Do I need to take out all of the screws to the cover and take off the nut holding the coupler? 

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

With your ice bin removed,  under the drive coupler (or fork) you'll see a Phillips screw holding your light shield in place if it's not already broken.  What you want to do is remove that "shelf" that the ice bucket sits on.  There are two 1/4" screws in the front of that shelf pointing downward. remove those.  The on the top two corners of that shelf pointing toward the rear are two more 1/4" screws.  there is a wiring harness from the auger assembly that plugs into the back wall.  there are 2 more 1/4" screws holding the harness in place.  hold that fork when you pull it out.  be ready it's a little heavy. 

#10 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:06 PM

I took out the whole thing.  Unplugged the motor and took it out to blowdry.  Bad news is that its still not working after I reinstalled it.  I'm guessing its gonna be a new auger motor?

#11 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:07 PM

I also noticed when it was out that the plug to the f/f unit has four prongs.  3 of them are attached but the fourth a green wire is disconnected.

#12 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

But wait theres more....

On the lower right side (when facing the unit) there is a square, switch looking thing that is connected to some kind of switch in the back.  When I close the door and push the dispenser button, then reopen the door this square has moved up.  Is this something to do with the release of ice?  Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:42 PM

Unplugged the motor and took it out to blowdry. Bad news is that its still not working after I reinstalled it. I'm guessing its gonna be a new auger motor?

Maybe. You should confirm it's bad by seeing if you're getting voltage to the augur motor. Or, just buy a new augur motor.

I also noticed when it was out that the plug to the f/f unit has four prongs. 3 of them are attached but the fourth a green wire is disconnected.

That's the ground wire-- wouldn't keep the motor from running but might keep you from getting your buns shocked off. :shock:

On the lower right side (when facing the unit) there is a square, switch looking thing that is connected to some kind of switch in the back.

That's the cuber/crusher solenoid. Not part of the problem. Though you should ohm out the solenoid while you have the augur motor out to replace it.

#14 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:01 AM

Thank you Samurai.

#15 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

Samurai, I'm baaaaackkk....

I installed a new auger motor tonite and to my major disappointment the auger is still not turning.  Suggestions.....

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:39 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Unplugged the motor and took it out to blowdry. Bad news is that its still not working after I reinstalled it. I'm guessing its gonna be a new auger motor?

Maybe. You should confirm it's bad by seeing if you're getting voltage to the augur motor.

:idea:  See if you're getting voltage to the augur motor.  (hey, deja vu!)

#17 Lurker_harkenco_*

Lurker_harkenco_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

I have to play stupid here.  How do I check it?  And, when I do check and confirm that there is no voltage to the auger motor what do I do then?

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:11 PM

Hey, this forum is a school-- the only stupid questions are those that aren't asked (or "axed" for my southern brethren).   :touched:

Read this primer on making simple electrical measurements.

Find the wiring diagram on your fridge.  It is cleverly hidden somewhere on your fridge.  A common hiding place is behind the front grill.  Anyway, get it and fax it to me:  775-416-4449.  We need to see the wiring diagram to know where to look next if you're not getting voltage to the augur motor.

#19 Lurker_cojenny_*

Lurker_cojenny_*

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

I have this same problem with our icemaker in our freezer.  Our auger motor has frozen over repeatedly.  We replaced the motor, but that did not fix the problem.  I would love to know how to keep the motor from freezing - can you help??

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:50 AM

GE fridge? This problem is inherent in the design of the fridge. See this thread:

http://applianceguru...orum1/2776.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics