Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest harkenco

ge ice dispenser

26 posts in this topic

I need some guidance in repairing my ice dispenser.  It makes ice cubes and dispenses water.  However, it will not crush or dispense cubes.  It sounds as if the motor may have gone.  How do I fix it?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=0]harkenco[/user] wrote:

I need some guidance in repairing my ice dispenser.  It makes ice cubes and dispenses water.  However, it will not crush or dispense cubes.  It sounds as if the motor may have gone.  How do I fix it?

This is not an IM6. There is no on/off switch or LED lights.  Build date was 5/1996

Doesn't matter if it's an IM6-- this problem is somewhere between the dispenser switch and the augur motor. Do you hear the augur motor trying to turn?

Post your model number so we can pull diagrams on it.

tfx25jr is the model of the f/f.  When you push on the ice dispenser button you can hear a buzzing and sometimes get 1 or 2 ice cubes to drop into the chute.  They do not drop thru the flap though.

Ah, good. Remove the ice reservoir and activate the ice dispenser, see if the augur motor coupler in the back is tunring. You could also have a problem with an ice bridge in the reservoir preventing ice from getting down into the dispensing screw. But, if the augur motor drive coupler is turning normally, then we know the problem is in the ice reservoir.

Okay so whats the bad news.  The coupler is not turning. 

The force is telling me your auger motor is frozen.  Pull out the icemaker.  Pull out the auger assembly.  Take a hair dryer to the auger motor until it's dry.  re-install it and try it.

IF this happens again anytime soon, write back and we'll tell you a neat trick to stop it for good.

Next dumb question.  How do I remove the auger assembly?  Do I need to take out all of the screws to the cover and take off the nut holding the coupler? 

With your ice bin removed,  under the drive coupler (or fork) you'll see a Phillips screw holding your light shield in place if it's not already broken.  What you want to do is remove that "shelf" that the ice bucket sits on.  There are two 1/4" screws in the front of that shelf pointing downward. remove those.  The on the top two corners of that shelf pointing toward the rear are two more 1/4" screws.  there is a wiring harness from the auger assembly that plugs into the back wall.  there are 2 more 1/4" screws holding the harness in place.  hold that fork when you pull it out.  be ready it's a little heavy. 

I took out the whole thing.  Unplugged the motor and took it out to blowdry.  Bad news is that its still not working after I reinstalled it.  I'm guessing its gonna be a new auger motor?

I also noticed when it was out that the plug to the f/f unit has four prongs.  3 of them are attached but the fourth a green wire is disconnected.

But wait theres more....

On the lower right side (when facing the unit) there is a square, switch looking thing that is connected to some kind of switch in the back.  When I close the door and push the dispenser button, then reopen the door this square has moved up.  Is this something to do with the release of ice?  Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure.

Unplugged the motor and took it out to blowdry. Bad news is that its still not working after I reinstalled it. I'm guessing its gonna be a new auger motor?

Maybe. You should confirm it's bad by seeing if you're getting voltage to the augur motor. Or, just buy a new augur motor.

I also noticed when it was out that the plug to the f/f unit has four prongs. 3 of them are attached but the fourth a green wire is disconnected.

That's the ground wire-- wouldn't keep the motor from running but might keep you from getting your buns shocked off. :shock:

On the lower right side (when facing the unit) there is a square, switch looking thing that is connected to some kind of switch in the back.

That's the cuber/crusher solenoid. Not part of the problem. Though you should ohm out the solenoid while you have the augur motor out to replace it.

Samurai, I'm baaaaackkk....

I installed a new auger motor tonite and to my major disappointment the auger is still not turning.  Suggestions.....

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Unplugged the motor and took it out to blowdry. Bad news is that its still not working after I reinstalled it. I'm guessing its gonna be a new auger motor?

Maybe. You should confirm it's bad by seeing if you're getting voltage to the augur motor.

:idea:  See if you're getting voltage to the augur motor.  (hey, deja vu!)

I have to play stupid here.  How do I check it?  And, when I do check and confirm that there is no voltage to the auger motor what do I do then?

Hey, this forum is a school-- the only stupid questions are those that aren't asked (or "axed" for my southern brethren).   :touched:

Read this primer on making simple electrical measurements.

Find the wiring diagram on your fridge.  It is cleverly hidden somewhere on your fridge.  A common hiding place is behind the front grill.  Anyway, get it and fax it to me:  775-416-4449.  We need to see the wiring diagram to know where to look next if you're not getting voltage to the augur motor.

I have this same problem with our icemaker in our freezer.  Our auger motor has frozen over repeatedly.  We replaced the motor, but that did not fix the problem.  I would love to know how to keep the motor from freezing - can you help??

It is a GE fridge - that other thread is very helpful.  Thanks!!!

Just had the Sears repairman replace our GE auger motor - $300!!!   (The motor costs $100).

I wish I'd seen this thread first.  I'll try thawing/drying out the old motor and then testing it as suggested.

Keith

I wonder what would happen if you removed the auger motor and blow dried it real good and then stuck the motor in quart plastic zip lock bag and poked the shaft and terminal connectors thru the bag and maybe even wrap a little electrical tape around the whole thing and reinstall it?

If you encounter a frozen auger motor on a side-by-side new energy model refrigerator, we now have a solution. To resolve this condition, order the auger motor shield WR17X11111.

Install the shield to redirect airflow and prevent the auger motor from freezing. This modification applies only to models manufactured beginning in 2001.

Materials Required:

ı WR17X11111 Auger Motor Shield

ı Electrical tape

Follow these steps to install this shield:

A. Remove the auger motor from the cover

and motor assembly.

B. Before assembling the shield, make sure

the locking tabs on the shield are bent

inwards about 20 degrees.

C. Slide the shield onto the motor from the

side opposite the terminals.

D. Slide it forward completely and drop it