Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

What is the strangest thing found in Dryer vent?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

I have found many thing harboring in the dryer vent but how about a nearly headless bunny rabbit, yes in a maytag dryer the bunny managed to crawl all the way to the blower and get stuck. now most of know that those plastic blower wheels failed with just alittle lint on them but not this one. There was splatter all over like i never seen and after showing the customer the culprit she immediately wanted the dryer out of her house (only 1 year old) I so kindly obliged and sold her a new one.  socks, mice, birds squirrels but no headless bunnies till this one!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

As far as nasty things go...

A Squirrel and a chipmunk in the same vent...stinking to high heaven

A dead bird made it all the way up to the blower wheel on a older GE

I reached into a vent and pulled out a hand full of moist lint, and about 50 live wasps. I didn't get stung at all.

A nice story...

I found 2 diamond earrings for a lady customer just at the end of the dryer vent outlet. They were just lying there. I was just checking the vent connection for her and pulled the elbow off. It turns out they were a gift from her husband who had died a few months ago. Her niece had taken them,without her knowledge, and managed to loose them, also with out her knowledge. It was a week before Christmas and she had the joy of getting her keepsakes back, without having suffered the grief of knowing they were even lost.

Makes me smile everytime I think about it.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Found a bunch of "wacky-weed" in one down in the 'hood
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

Chopped up snake that was left in the blower wheel for two weeks....in summer....in Texas....while the dude went on vacation, then called us...:(
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:32 PM

Then there was the Whirlpool... the guy brought in to the shop to be repaired....removed almost $100.00 in bills that were folded a certain way....sort of long and round...;)...tried not to get high getting it all out of there...:shock:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

Ran a call in a multi million dollar home in Upper Saddle River NJ. no dry, moisture accumulating in the dryer. Lady was all over me about removing shoes, can you please come to the back door, how she was sure it was under warranty because it was only 3 years old etc. even before I could get in the home. Of course I know what it is even prior to stepping into one of the most expensive and filthiest homes I had been in in a while. I started the unit and the vinyl duct didn't even move and the unit did heat prior to kicking on hi limit, I asked her where it went and she led me to the basement (the whole time telling me she has a 5 year warranty on the motor and her husband thinks it's the motor). I showed her the 30 feet of vinyl duct snaked through the rafters and the one spot filled to the brim with water (and bubbling). I started lifting all the sags explaining to her what was happening when one of the sags I was lifting started squirming in my hand and the lump started running in both directions. Needless to say I let out a yelp, OK a girlish like scream because it scared the crap out of me. About this time I started looking around the basement and noticed all the rat traps they had out. After explaining to the woman that she now had rats in her vent, and she owed me the diagnostic fee because it was not a warranty issue, she of coursed refused to pay. I advised the usual this will void my company from returning on this and any other of your products in the future, you will be put into collections, etc. which of course she advised me she did not care about it, she should have more warranty then 3 years. I then told her that I would have to report her rat infestation to the town because of the potential health problems it posed. The check book came out in a flash. The embarrassment was far more motivating then paying for a service rendered. She was pleasant as can be after that explaining how she was in-between cleaning services and that was why the home was messy and how she would dearly appreciate my understanding of the situation and the embarrassment it could cause her. Gotta love it.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Should have made the hag pay double.

#8 does_what_he_can

does_what_he_can

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

went out to a small trailer in the middle of nowhere in north ga. Nephew of homeowner was there to let us in the trailer. Walked in and found foul smell and flies everywhere in home. No air conditioning in trailer and the middle of summer. Customer states unit not turning. Pushed start button and heard motor hum. Was training so told trainee to pull off front and check blower. He did and found something small and smelly. I shined flashlight in and found dead rat. Told customer that i would not remove that and if he wanted it repaired he could do it. He grabbed some paper towels and grabbed it and pulled it out. But the rat came apart and left half a carcus filled with maggots. I jumped back and ewwwed and he ran outside and started vomiting off the front porch. He came back in, chugged a beer, cursed at his aunt, and finished cleanin the rest of the rat and the urine soaked rag the rat dragged into the blower wheel.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:09 AM

Found a lint rat in an Asko dryer. WARNING: Not for the haint of fart!

#10 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

Was not in the venting, but it sort of applies. Ran a call on an older (pretty new at the time) DG712 style unit with the little square access door. No heat was the call, started her up and opened the access door to take a gander when something caught my eye to the left of the combustion chamber, I reached in and pulled out a big old baggy of shall we say a suspicious leafy green substance. :P I called the woman down and she insisted it must of come from the factory that way because it was only her and he teenage son in the home and he would never use that STUFF. I tried not to laugh and just went about my business.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#11 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Found a lint rat in an Asko dryer. WARNING: Not for the haint of fart!

Did it take a cunning stunt to remove it? B)

Ahh, Mr. Spooner is worth getting familiar with. From this source...

the French word for a tumble dryer, un sèche-linge, could give rise to a spoonerism un lèche-singe which would mean a person who licks monkeys

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

I found a groundhog in a dryer once, It stunk to high heaven and it made it all the way to the blower wheel. I wonder if he saw his shadow or not.
Scott Wolf

#13 kingsx

kingsx

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Many years ago, I was privileged to visit
a beautiful home in suburban new Jersey.
where I proceded to take apart a five thousand year old Maytag dryer to clean the lint and maybe replace the bearing. (The one with two belts that weighed three hundred pounds)

After removing lots of the structure,
 I looked into the blower housing...
only to find myself staring eye to eye into the face of a crow!

Just sitting there waiting for me to discover it.
no body, just a nicely chopped off head-
as if someone had placed it there for me.

..and they say
the glamour of appliance repair has been fading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics