Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Another Kenmore "no-spin" question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rmiell

rmiell

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

My kenmore top load works well, but seems to not spin. I have noticed that if I open the lid as the pump is running to empty the tub, there is a clunck, and then when I close the lid, it spins correctly........until the next spin cycle.

Any ideas?

TIA

Rick

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:20 AM

Sounds to me like the neutral drain gears in the transmission need to be replaced.  The parts cost about a buck two-eighty, but replacing them, ahh yes, replacing them... OY!

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:24 AM

Samurai,

Is that why all these rebuilt gearcases are so darn loud? I won't use anything but a new tranny anymore. I hate going back for a noise complaint.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:14 AM

Tranny has a 5 year warranty, we do not know the age of your washer...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Mr Clean

Mr Clean

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

My Kenmore direct drive top loader has done the same thing you describe for some time.  In the spin cycle, the pump runs and drains but most of the time there's no spin.  Opening and closing the lid starts the spin (with an accompanying "clunk" as mentioned by rmiell), or else after the cycle is finished I can turn the timer dial around and manually restart it in the final spin cycle (in which case it spins just fine).  I've wondered if this is a mechanical problem (clutch?) or if it could possibly be as simple as the timer assembly.

I pretty much always use the "heavy duty" cycle, and it occurred to me that if the timer is the problem it might work ok on other cycles...so I tried it on the "normal" cycle.  Guess what?  Works fine, spin cycle kicks in normally.  So now I'm thinking that my problem is probably the timer.  Two things:

1.   Wanted to relay that info to other people who might have a problem that looks clutch / transmission related but isn't.  As for the "clunk" sound, I expect that happens because when you open and close the lid while the washer is draining the transmission is engaging spin with the motor already running?

2.  The timer's not a cheap part, so I was hoping for some feedback on whether my diagnosis sounds reasonable, and exactly what I would need if I am right.  My machine is a model 110.92281100, and it looks like the timer is part number 661573.

Thanks in advance!

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

Trannys do not normally go thunk when they start.   On my washer the Heavy duty is just an extension of the normal cycle, just adds some extra minutes, same motor, tranny, etc.  not sure this would be causing the problem unless the built in pause is not happening.  The timer has to pause after the drain to set the tranny for spin, if that pause is not happening, opening the lid and closing it is taking the place  of the pause.   See if your timer is pausing after the drain, if it is the timer is ok.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics