Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

"Stinky" Washer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 azmudge1

azmudge1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

Help, Please!!!!!!My 14 yr. old washer has developed a "sewer" smell and we would appreciate some feedback as to what might be the problem.  Last week my son and husband replaced the pump thinking that the water was not pumping out properly but the rotten smell is still there, and if we tip the washer we can hear water sloshing around somewhere in there.  Any suggestions, as I really like clean clothes and don't want to take the poor old thing out and shoot it just yet 'cause it really looks pretty good for it's age!  Thanks!   :(

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:14 AM

Most likely years worth of accumulated sludge from using fabric softner in washer.  You will most likely have to remove the agitator and spin basket from the machine to clean the sludge out.

Without a model# and brand of machine we really can't help you more.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:18 AM

If your washer is a top loader, I would advise put 1cup of diluted Dishwasher powder into the machine.  Then set to hot water, highest water level and heaviest agitation possible, and run through full cycle.  Once machine is full of hot water, you can stop it and leave it to soak for 1/2 an hour, then complete cycle. Please let me know if this is successful as I advise my customers in NZ to do this and have had great feedback.  
please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:56 AM

I use a variation of Kiwis' Method, assuming it's a top load machine.

When the tub is filled , on highest setting, stop the machine and add about 2 gallons of hot water. This will raise the water level above the usual "tub ring" of accumulated sludge. I would also add a couple cups of beach, use 2 cups of powered dishwasher machine detergent, and let the machine agitate for several minutes. Then stop the machine with the tub full.

I would let it soak for several hours, then let it finish the cycle empty. Then leave the lid up so it will air out and dry up inside.

If you use liquid softener, or have pets, you may have to do this a few times.

You can also do the same process using Lysol Concentrated cleaner. I use about 8-10 ounces.

Otherwise, you have to take it apart to get it clean.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:58 AM

That sloshing sound is the water in the tub balance ring, and the water in the pump and lower hoses.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:16 AM

in the area where i live,this problem occurs when the anode rod in the hot water heater has eroded,as it is designed to be a "sacraficial lamb" to impurities in the water which will cause such odors.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 azmudge1

azmudge1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:56 AM

Sorry about that--I had put the make and model # in the subject line but it didn't copy through--the machine in question is a Kenmore 82873820.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

Ok, that is your standard Whirlpool built direct drive top loader machine. All advice above applies.....
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics