Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Tales from the Butt Crack

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

I do not think I would have so much fun remembering some of the stories that I have participated in.

A couple of short gems.

Service call customer compliant that refrig shocks them. I go out and sure enough the
handle on the refrig is reading 115 volts to a good ground. I start examing all of the wiring but I am getting annoyed at getting hit several times with a solid 115 volts.
It doesn't hurt but I am losing my patience. I finally decide to find this short once and for all, I attach a wire to the case and a cold water pipe. This will end this cat mouse game, well it did.......the bare wire was from the compressor and draped over the condensor tubing. well I hit Oil.............and freon and quite a dramatic display in the customers Kitchen...........I did find the short!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

Not even a Thank you....

I was called out on a dishwasher repair (an old Kitchenaid Vintage KD15)

dishwasher runs but not cleaning, as I am checking it out I am getting hit with shocks.
I immediately check voltage at junction box and is ok so I disconnect the power lead.
Still getting hit so I figure polarity is switched so I disconnect white (ground) wire.
Still getting hit and there is not electric hooked up to the dishwasher.
I cannot see any wires around dishwasher that might be resting on frame ( those old K/A dishwasher frames would leave you bloody)
I decide to remove dishwasher from underneath counter so I could see more and as I disconnect water fill line from the valve a huge arc snapped. Got my attention, I checked the frame and it is finally safe, but to my surprise the hot water feed has
110 volts live to it.
Impossible right?  wrong, I then go upstairs to bathroom and measure 115 volts
on the hot water faucet in the bathtub ( this scared the crap out of me)
I told the customer to get out of the house and call electrician to find out what was going on.

The electrician called me the next day to tell me what he found, In the process of changing the electrical service someone drove a ground spike right into the service cable underground before the box and attached to the plumbing. The whole house plumbing was live and unbreakered. The bonus ...The Customer cursed me because she had to call electrician in to fix...she never called me again to fix anything and I thought I did something good!

#3 Crouching Tiger

Crouching Tiger

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

A funny thing happened to me about a year ago.  I had a service call on a brand new Kenmore (Whirltag) dishawasha that was just installed in a brand new home.  The complaint was that it wouldn't fill with water.  I check for power at the valve and I get 0 volts so I check line to ground and neutral to ground and get line voltage on both.  I then check the junction box on th unit and line and neutral are good.  I connect my patch cord to the water valve and plug it into my trouble light and low and behold I get water.  So I do some other various checks when I get a lifter off the damn thing.  So I disconnect the mains in the junction box and test frame to ground and neutral on the supply wiring from the panel and I get line voltage.  I don't recall now the steps I took but I traced the problem to the hot water line under the sink and it was live.  I then explained to the customer the unit is probably o.k. but the wiring in the house needs to be checked by the electrician.  He is skeptical about the problem so I test the d/w by connecting my patch cord to the unit mains and it tested o.k.  He says he wants a new dishwasher.  What a dick.  I still don't know what the cause of the problem was or how many dishwashers the guy went through.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:39 PM

I have a well established policy on butt cleavage....

If you don't want to see any butt cleavage, for a small gratuity I can keep everything covered properly.

But if you WANT to see butt cleavage, a LARGE gratuity is in order

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

Nick, is that you?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Nick.jpg   15.75KB   103 downloads

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

That cost her a $10 spot, and I wasn't even there for the 'frig  :D
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics