Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Hotpoint CSX22GRBGAA side by side frig

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 leavealetter

leavealetter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:42 AM

During our mini heatwave this week, food and freezer did not reach proper cooling temp.  Ice buildup in back of freezer.  I unplugged this a.m. and just removed inside panel,  Ice buildup everywhere!  At this point should I leave unplugged to defrost or should I be playing with parts to see if something kicks in?

By the way, just had kitchen cabinets built in April and there's minimal space on sides of frig.  Top has inch clearance.  Will lack of air circulation cause this problem?

I await all or any guidance.

Leavealetter

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

Your first sep is to get rid of all that ice. Use a hair dryer, and be careful around any plastic or stryrofoam you see.

Your machine did not auto defrost. This plugged the airways and caused your unit to run warm.

I believe our host has links explaining this repair/diagnosis.

Your defrost timer, or heater, or defrost termination thermostat has likely failed.

When you get the ice out, your machine will work ok, for a few days, so you need to find the cause.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:10 AM

first STEP

too early to type well

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 leavealetter

leavealetter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Nick.

I played around with the defrost timer and nothing happened.  Not sure if the ice prevents anything from happening during the screwdriver test even if the timer is defective.

If the heater should have started, then next is Thermo or the heater after the ice is gone.

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:48 AM

Sounds like your working with the right logic. Most likely the timer failed, but I do see many failed termination thermostats. They are not very expensive and east to fix. Unplug the machine when you are messing with the electrical parts.

Nick

#6 leavealetter

leavealetter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Ok all the ice melted in the freezer, so I turned the power back on.  Before I tested the defrost timer, I felt the edge of the wall between the freezer and food section.  The outside exterior edge where the two doors meet felt hot.  :shock:
 I turned the defrost timer on with a screwdriver and the defrost heater kicked on.  That should mean that I need to replace the timer.  Any idea why the edge of the interior wall got hot and is this a more serious problem??

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:08 PM

It's heat from the mullion loop. They run a high side refrigerant loop through the cabinet to prevent condensation between the doors. Not a problem.

Looks like a timer will fix you up.

Nick

#8 leavealetter

leavealetter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:03 AM

Well I must blown the defrost heater while playing around with the timer the first time around because  two weeks later things freezed up again.  I just finished replacing the thermostat and heater, but the test of resetting the timer didn't heat up the heater.  Does the freezer temp have to be below room temperature in order to test the heater?  Or is there a different problem now?

Thanks again for your guidance!

#9 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:46 AM

leavealetter,  Yes,  you have to wait until the freezer comes down to normal temp.  Then you can put it into defrost and see if the heaters are operating..The bi-metal has to close...Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics