Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

leavealetter

Hotpoint CSX22GRBGAA side by side frig

9 posts in this topic

During our mini heatwave this week, food and freezer did not reach proper cooling temp.  Ice buildup in back of freezer.  I unplugged this a.m. and just removed inside panel,  Ice buildup everywhere!  At this point should I leave unplugged to defrost or should I be playing with parts to see if something kicks in?

By the way, just had kitchen cabinets built in April and there's minimal space on sides of frig.  Top has inch clearance.  Will lack of air circulation cause this problem?

I await all or any guidance.

Leavealetter

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Your first sep is to get rid of all that ice. Use a hair dryer, and be careful around any plastic or stryrofoam you see.

Your machine did not auto defrost. This plugged the airways and caused your unit to run warm.

I believe our host has links explaining this repair/diagnosis.

Your defrost timer, or heater, or defrost termination thermostat has likely failed.

When you get the ice out, your machine will work ok, for a few days, so you need to find the cause.

Nick

first STEP

too early to type well

Thanks Nick.

I played around with the defrost timer and nothing happened.  Not sure if the ice prevents anything from happening during the screwdriver test even if the timer is defective.

If the heater should have started, then next is Thermo or the heater after the ice is gone.

Sounds like your working with the right logic. Most likely the timer failed, but I do see many failed termination thermostats. They are not very expensive and east to fix. Unplug the machine when you are messing with the electrical parts.

Nick

Ok all the ice melted in the freezer, so I turned the power back on.  Before I tested the defrost timer, I felt the edge of the wall between the freezer and food section.  The outside exterior edge where the two doors meet felt hot.  :shock:

I turned the defrost timer on with a screwdriver and the defrost heater kicked on.  That should mean that I need to replace the timer.  Any idea why the edge of the interior wall got hot and is this a more serious problem??

It's heat from the mullion loop. They run a high side refrigerant loop through the cabinet to prevent condensation between the doors. Not a problem.

Looks like a timer will fix you up.

Nick

Well I must blown the defrost heater while playing around with the timer the first time around because  two weeks later things freezed up again.  I just finished replacing the thermostat and heater, but the test of resetting the timer didn't heat up the heater.  Does the freezer temp have to be below room temperature in order to test the heater?  Or is there a different problem now?

Thanks again for your guidance!

leavealetter,  Yes,  you have to wait until the freezer comes down to normal temp.  Then you can put it into defrost and see if the heaters are operating..The bi-metal has to close...Ron