Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire fridge temperature problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chadl

Chadl

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:09 AM

Alright - I have seached the forum looking for an answer to this problem and no luck. The problem is driving me crazy!:yikes:

It is a Frigidaire top-mount freezer, model #FRT21NRGB1. This particular unit has the large condenser that is attached to the back of the unit, so, there is no condenser fan. If the unit sits in the middle of the kitchen, all is well - freezer at 0, fridge at 38 and compressor seems to run a normal length of time. If the unit is pushed back into place (which is surrounded on all sides by walls), then the freezer jumps in temperature to 10, the fridge drops in temperature to 30 (freezes the food on the top shelf in the fridge) and the compressor seems to run non-stop. Listened to it one day and the only thing that shut it off was the thermal overload on the compressor. Have also adjusted the air flow control in the freezer to coldest in freezer (warmest in fridge) & also turned the temp control in the fridge so that it would run the shortest amount of time, but, same problem.

The other thing going on is there is large amounts of condensation on the mullion and the refrigeration line running to the compressor drips a lot of water (from condensation??) onto the floor. The water issues are present even with the fridge in the middle of the room. The water dripping even happens on this fridge in the middle of the winter, not just during the summer. The magnetic door seal on the doors are perfect! This fridge is only 3 years old or so. Got it from a couple that bought it new from Sears and had these problems from the first time it was plugged in. The Sears tech came and replaced the compressor but was doing the same things. Any ideas?? It is a nice unit except for these couple of problems. My thought was that it is a sealed-system issue still????????

One other question - on a 21 cubic foot fridge like this and the R134a charge, assuming the doors are kept closed for hours at a time, how many times/hour should the compressor typically kick in? Right now, with the machine in the middle of the room, it is about 50/50 - 20 minutes run, 20 minutes off, 20 minutes run, 20 off, you get the idea.....

One other bit of information - I thought at one point the cold control in the fridge could be to blame for not shutting the compressor off, so that is new as well.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

Chadl,  with out looking at the unit it's hard to say whether or not it's a sealed system problem.  I can tell you that I have about 40 of these models where I had to change the compressor,  evaporator and heat exchanger.  Problem being a restriction in the heat exchanger to the evaporator.  This took care of the problem. This usually was in a non cool situation....Ron

#3 Chadl

Chadl

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:38 AM

That sounds very likely - the restriction problem, that is. Yuk. Maybe I'll be looking for a new fridge.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:42 AM

Frigidaire has alot of sealed system problems.  I think the design is seriously flawed. You seem to have a sealed system problem.

It could be a slow leak in the evaporator or heat exchanger. The mullion loop in the cabinet may be restricted or even have a slow leak.

Frigidaire will usually require the "whole hog" method, replace everything possible with DIFFERENT components. They never admit the original design and parts were junk.

Good luck, and do not buy another Electrolux.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Chadl

Chadl

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:46 AM

Yep - I learned my lesson :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics