Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer cuts off!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rennies7

rennies7

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:40 AM

My Kenmore washer is about 10 yrs. old. model #110 Serial Number 92582220 ( hope I followed the rules.)

Here's the deal. It will fill up agitate for about 2 minutes and then cut off. Wait a few minutes then it will come back on then cut off again. There is a "electrical" smell. It will continue doing this through the rinse and spin cycle also.

My husband replaced the coupler? (the rubber thingy that makes it agitate) and today the entire motor. I am about to throw this stupid machine in the street. Please help if you can. My husband has steam coming out of his ears.

Thanks !!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

seems that you have excessive current draw on the motor,does the pump and transmission shaft turn freely??
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Yes what kdog says is the deal. Since you have had the pump already off , leave it off. You can leave the hoses hooked up to it and tie it off to the left with a coat hanger. Then jump the lid switch so the machine will work and see if the units motor will work.
If so the pump is binding up. You can also turn the pum with a large flat blade screw driver and make sure that it spins freely.
With the motor off and on the floor you could do two things. You could take a wrench to the transmission shaft and turn it. It should be firm but turn.
With the motor on the floor and wired up you could also hold it in place and turn on the machine which will start the motor and see if it works okay by itself. When you do this be prepared to hold the motor tight. I use my shoes with rubber sole and a foot, cause it will jerk when you first start it so don't be dazzeled.
You just want to narrow this down to which thing out of the three is binding up. The pum, the motor itself, or the transmisssion.
Good Luck.

Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

If your model has a speed contol switch, replace it 1st.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:50 AM

Like Nick says, I also would be looking at the speed selector switch. You do have one on this machine, (called "Cycle Selector" 4 postion speed control switch.

I've seen it a few times where the points will weld together in the switch which will be sending electricity to both Hi and Low speed motor windings at the same time which will make the motor run real loud and then overheat and kickoff on the thermal overload like yours is doing.

When the machine is running for that 2 minutes before it shuts off does it seem to be much louder than normal?

As soon as the machine starts to agitate turn the speed selector switch to a different setting and see if the loudness goes away and machine keeps running. If this works you will need to replace the "Cycle Selector/Speed control switch".

Here's the part if you determine that is what you need: CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:15 AM

On the subject of the speed switch, that's definitely a possibility. An issue I used to run into was people changing speed while the machine was running. This will very quickly burn up the contacts in the switch. If you realise you've selected the wrong speed, stop the machine then change speed and restart.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 rennies7

rennies7

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

PTL the unit is fixed.  After a new coupler, new motor, new timer and then finally a new speed switch, the problem is fixed.  I wish I had been on here prior to the new coupler and new motor.  I received the new timer for free....so all said, $180 for the repair.  The switch ($25) was the problem.  Thanks to all who assisted with this dillema.  Once again, I Am The Man at home.....thanks to all who helped.

Daddy is going to get rewarded....:)

#8 rennies7

rennies7

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:55 PM

Nick,

Thank you so much, I wish I'd seen your suggestion a week prior to my battle.  I appreciate your help.

Stuart

#9 rennies7

rennies7

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:56 PM

Willie,

Thanks for the help, you hit the nail on the head.

Stuart

#10 rennies7

rennies7

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

Mac,

Thanks, your ideas were right on the money, you hit the nail on the head.

Stuart

#11 rennies7

rennies7

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:59 PM

Kdog, GLC:

Thanks for the input.  All the advice was sound and appreciated.  The washing is working.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics