Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

any Rat stories out there?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

Working on a dishwaher with a leaking complaint, I could not pin point the leak. It seemed to leak from everywhere, so I got as far under the unit to see if I could feel the extent of the problem. I felt tiny little nitches or grooves in all of the rubber hoses everywhere. The dishwasher when turned on was like a sprinkler system, so I removed myself from under and retrieved my flashlight and looked underneath and there sitting quietly in the corner was the one of the biggest rats staring back at me.

I broke "Butt Crack Golden Rule #2" never reach into something that you have not looked into thoroughly first. needless to say My work there was done .

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DIAMOND GAZZA

DIAMOND GAZZA

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

I GOT A FEW, HERES ONE. THE OTHERS ARE TOO GRUSOM.
ME AND ANOTHER GUY I WORKED WITH WERE ON A CALL FOR A SPLIT SYSTEM AC NOT WORKING, TOOK COVER OFF AND FOUND RAT SITTING IN EVAP UNIT. I PANICED FOR A SECOND CAUSE IT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS ABOUT TO JUMP OUT AT ME. BUT IT WAS ONLY THE BIG FAT MAGOTS CRAWLING INSIDE IT MAKING IT MOVE. WE GOT A BAG AND SOME LONG NOSE PLIERS AND TOOK TURNS UP THE LADDER PULLING PIECES OF IT (CAUSE IT BROKE UP WHEN TOUCHED) OFF OF THE ELECTRICS WHERE IT WAS WELDED ON. ONE PERSON STOOD OUTSIDE WHILE THE OTHER PULLED PIECES OFF FOR 5-10 SECONDS THEN WE SWAPPED POSITIONS UNTIL ALL RAT WAS GONE. YUCK.

#3 DIAMOND GAZZA

DIAMOND GAZZA

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

AH I JUST REMEMBERED ANOTHER THAT DOESNT INVOLVE BLOOD AND GUTS. A DISHWASHER WASNT WORKING OUT AT A HOUSE IN THE BUSH, ALMOST FARMLIKE PROPERTY. FOUND RATS EATEN EVERY WIRE AND HOSE IN DISHWASHER. CHEAPER TO BUY NEW ONE WAS THE QUOTE, AND THEY AGREED. AND THEN SAID THEY WERNT SURPRISED AS THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO THEIR BRAND NEW $50,000 CAR A COUPLE DAY BEFORE. EVERY WIRE IN IT WAS CHEWED AND NOW NEEDED REPLACING. BUGGER.

#4 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:51 AM

Ahhh yes. I vividly remember pulling out 11 rats from the control panel of a whirlpool stove...shocking experience for them to say the least.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

More people need to adopt cats, LOL
Scott Wolf

#6 DIAMOND GAZZA

DIAMOND GAZZA

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:51 PM

one customers cat used to catch mice, bring them inside, then let them go. Stupid cat.

#7 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

Had a call one time where the lady new there was a dead mouse behind the fridge because she could smell it, and wanted ne to come and remove it. So I get there and pull the fridge out and start lookin...no mouse.....looked harder....still no mouse. I could smell it like I was looking right at it and nothing was there. I asked her if the fridge had been working properly and she stated yes up until this morning when I noticed water collecting in the bottom of the freezer. I thought to myself. Wouldn't that be crazy if a mouse would hav climbed up the drain tube and died. Just to humor myself I removed the drain tube and this thing smelled like a thousand corpses but I couldn't see anythin. Got out my flashlight and shined in one end..no light through the otherside. So I take the tube outside and grabbed her water hose. I shot the pressure to it and sure enough out came the mouse.

#8 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

I had a dead garter snake wrapped around a condenser fan blade like a twisted starter rope once.  Dollar for dollar though, nothing is more disgusting  than cockroach infested cooking appliances. I used to work in a military town where they would come in from the far east in the household appliances, then infest the base housing units.
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#9 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

I've had more than my share of cockroaches lately.
We've been doing the Maytag fridge recalls in the projects. Every single one of these units had literally hundreds of them in the backs of the units.
YUCK!!

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Reminds me of the old TV Show "Good Times" seeing you are from Illinois.
Scott Wolf

#11 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Has anyone ever noticed when you are working in a home infested with rats that you smell wet hay??  Every time I've had to deal with rats, as soon as I walk into the home or apartment, I smell wet hay. I can't be the only one that's noticed this!
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#12 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

cockroach infestation also has a very di"stink"tive odor to me, TTH.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#13 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

Yep, time as I walk in the door I can tell if there's a lot of roaches

#14 delawaredrew

delawaredrew

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

I went out on a dead fridge once and found a gooey dead rat jamming the condensor fan. It was a pretty nice house and the lady was so embarrassed that she removed it while I was outside looking for my big rubber gloves, I put the cover back on and she paid in full and was happy.

As for roaches... I did satellite and cable work in the projects in Baltimore and DC years ago and if I never see another roach I'll be happy. Those nice, warm converter boxes would be full of them and they'd come out in hurry scurrying up my arms and across my feet. I began carrying a 18" long screwdriver with me to bang on it before I grabbed it.

#15 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

All these stories of dead peoples pets makes me glad I have retired and working at Wally-world. Especially with my back problem - the big yellow streak down the middle....

#16 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, the rats in these parts usually walk on 2 legs!!
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

Ahh, I love the smell of rat piss in the morning!

#18 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Did this one call, ( complaint was  one element not operating )  opened the front door and walked past six over-flowing cat-litter boxes, got 2 more steps and the stench hit.....took a deep breath.... walked to the range...got the model and serial number..( K/A with  flat glass rear console ) Started to get light headed but I pushed the on button, got no response at the control,  pushed off...I make it out the front door before  my eyes bugged out ( they were already watering from the ammonia ).... I know I should have gone back in and done a continuity test on the element but I shotgunned  that  call !!!!     Man, I stunk till I got back to the van and drove to the market for some  after-shave lotion ( I carry deodorant but that was NO help at all )  I went to the office, told them what to order...Told them what  was wrong at that service call and  I  would not go back to install the part...They said I had to....I said  "NO, I hate cats to begin with "  They sent another tech without telling him what was in store  for him...He wasn't to mad .....He has three of his own cats......LUCKILY  the replacement part was correct.. because if it wasn't correct,  I would have gone   back to save face......

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

I reached into the bottom part of a gas oven a while ago to check the wiring on the gas valve and the damn rats chewed my arm off! Fortunately, it was my left one. I was able to snap this picture with my right arm and even finished the job!

Posted Image

#20 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:55 AM

Them wouldn't happen to be Aphganistan Rats, would they?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics