Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

any Rat stories out there?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

Why anybody would want to keep mice or rats is beyond me, but they still sell them at the pet stores.

We had a pet store next to us when I worked for Westside Maytag Home Appliance Center and they used to chew their way into our store and hide in the appliances.
Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

They're purchased for feed for snakes, tarantula's etc.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#23 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

i got a warranty complaint for a noisey dryer one time
when i got to the house i asked the lady what type of noise and she said it sounds like scratching even when the dryer isn't running

i knocked off the venting and sure enough... out ran this huge rat

walked back upstairs and told the lady... well the dryer wont make that noise anymore, but you better call an exterminator cause something else in your house is about to start making that same noise

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#24 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:28 AM

I had a similar problem with rats from a next door store. We had a gay that did upholstery and a the giant parrot thing he kept in his shop. well, the rats found all the bird seed he kept there and like ants multiplied everywhere. They ate thru the wall into our shop and found home in some of our appliances. So one day I deliver this dryer, hook it up in the garage, turn it on, go to pull out the lint filter and out comes this rat with it! poor guy had just had bypass surgery and we both jumped out of our shoes! He caught the rat and thank goodness that he understood how it happened. Needless to say we (all vendors in the plaza) made the guy get rid of the bird.

#25 AppGuy

AppGuy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

Oh, just had a recent one I figured you would all like. I am delivering a washer to this lady. I pull up and there is baskets of bread hanging from the trees. Already thinking omg what have I gotten into. The lady leads me thru a path in the garage to the spot in the house where the washer goes. There is two huge racks of bedding on the adjacent walls as I am hooking up the washer she tells me she is cleaning up the room b-cuz she had mice problems that she took care of. Well, anyways about three days later I am there to service the machine (complaint was leaking and sparking). Didn't hit me till I walked in the house what the problem was going to be. I told her before I looked at it that I didn't think she got all the rats. She said "I'm sure there all gone, there was three nests in the sheets" Well, I proceeded to pop the top on the kitchen aide washer and as soon as I started to lift the lid "POW" out comes a rat! We all jumped (me, her and the rat) and when he scurried off I looked and he had already made a nice nest out of the wires, a wash cloth and lots of grass under the timer. I closed the lid, told her my work here was done and she needn't bother getting another machine for $175 till she took care of her infestation. She called the next day to say the exterminators she called ALL said the house needed to be tented.

#26 TroyAC

TroyAC

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

I really just have the typical mouse rat story. I do have one of a WP dryer that would just hum. I get out there the same day she called. Sure enough, I could move the pulley on the motor. So I opened up the blower housing and there was a baby possum in there. He was fresh,dead and stuck.

#27 dje123

dje123

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

found a mouse inside top panel of maytag washer guess he got shocked when he shorted out the fuse for lid switch
Posted Image

#28 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

You're weird, Samurai man, but then again you knew that!:P
Scott Wolf

#29 Lurker__*

Lurker__*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

No rats, but lots of mice. Also dead birds and cats in dryer vents.

Here is a photo of a dead mouse going down the hole that the dishwasher power cord went through.

The call was for a dead dishwasher.  I had to remove the mouse and replace the cord.

Under the kitchen floor was a false ceiling in the basement. When I removed the ceiling panel to replace the power cord I got showered with mouse crap. The ceiling was full of mouse crap.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/gallery/1_09_08_07_7_26_01.jpg

Edited to add: by the way, that's not my plumbing job. I think the home owner installed this dishwasher....

#30 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

Yes, I love the garden hose on the fill hose. Looks like a DIY hack job.
Scott Wolf

#31 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Ran a call years ago on the belt driven Maytag dishwasher.  Older house with the laundry room right off of the kitchen.  Quickly diagnose a broken nylon belt.  Get a new belt from the truck and get to work.  Removed access panel and found the entire bottom space of the dishwasher and between the sides of the tub and cabinet was packed (and I mean packed) with laundry.  Socks, underwear, shirts and towels.  Extracted and filled three 30 gallon trash bags with laundry, along with three or four huge rat skeletons.  Installed belt and dishwasher was good to go.  Asked the customer if they were missing any laundry.  They just said they figured the dryer ate it.  Yep.

#32 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

... belt driven Maytag dishwasher. . 

.... Installed belt and dishwasher was good to go. 

dishwasher ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#33 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yes siree, Brother Reg.  If I remember correctly the model #'s started with WU or W.  Porcelain metal tub and a drive motor similar to the washer.  Pump assy was separate and pulley driven by a round, see-thru nylon belt that you had to lubricate with silicone after installed.  This unit was Maytag's answer to the Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher.  About the only parts I ever had to carry for this baby was the belt and the inlet valve (dual solenoid like the Kitchenaid valve).  Was actually still carrying those belts on the truck up to about 5 years ago.

#34 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Amp draw opperated soap cup, lack of water or clogged arms and cup would not open. Belt was a 9-2115 I think for the original number................... I'm getting teary eyed....

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#35 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

X2900131-00005.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#36 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

I still remember the commercial, Maytag Jetclean dishwasher, model # WU502, load tall dishes in either the upper or lower rack, with Jesse White, being bored as hell cause there was nothing to fix.

Scott Wolf

#37 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I really just have the typical mouse rat story. I do have one of a WP dryer that would just hum. I get out there the same day she called. Sure enough, I could move the pulley on the motor. So I opened up the blower housing and there was a baby possum in there. He was fresh,dead and stuck.

Yea I service a whirlpool dryer that had not worked for a month & was kept in a barn.  Opened it up & found a live young possum in the inlet tube.  It was pissed, must of woke it up.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#38 J5

J5

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

i get a few mouse jobs

have a few customers that i have changed dishwasher drain hoses 2 or 3 times from rodents chewing them

i had a customer with a dead dishdrawer , rats had eaten through the power cord and drain hose

I repaired it , it lasted halfway through the cycle that evening and the mouse came back and chewed it again and

man wasnt she pissed that she had to pay again

I have a fairly new dishwasher that rodents have eaten through the top roof mounted water outlet , will snap

some pics when i get the part to return

A lady told me she was getting a tingle when she touched the dishwasher but it was still working ok

Rats had chewed the power cord and cut through the earth wire

Another guy his dishdrawer which was only a year old in a new house and i had installed it had a flood fault

when removing the bottm drawer  i saw a few bits and pieces in there and said to the guy hey i think you

have had a mouse in here ,

so i am down on my knees with my head stuck in the cabinet and remove the cover over the mains inlet

and ffs the mouse is still in here alive , I crap my pants , the owner hears me yelling and runs into the kitchen

just in time to see the mouse come out and run across the floor and under the fridge

Another dishdrawer tripping the power was due to fried mouse stuck across the mains inside the dishdrawer

Fortunatley i dont see a lot , but the smell is unique, just like cockoaches

my worst rat story is i had my seats out of my fairly new car i the garage and whn i got around to reinstalling them

i found a rat had chewed a massive hole in the middle of the back seat :verymad:

#39 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Time to adopt some cats and give them  to some of your customers.

Scott Wolf

#40 J5

J5

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Time to adopt some cats and give them  to some of your customers.

well one lady that the rat has eaten the drain hose 3 times they do have a cat

they fixed the hose themselves the 3rd time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics