Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaires are not idiot proof.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bridgejr

bridgejr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:57 AM

We just got a new Frigidaire today (new model FRT8B5EW2), and we didn't have it in the house for 10 minutes before doing something stupid to it.  We were taking out the packing material. There was some styrofoam inside the part of the frige that's behind the light bulb on the ceiling of the frige compartment. We dug it out, and then could see that there was more inaccessible styrofoam leading up to the freezer compartment. Then we noticed there is a part number on the styrofoam we dug out: 240362601.  When we googled it we found that number corresponds to the bottom of the air diffuser. So, basically we just destroyed a brand new part in a brand new appliance.  I have ordered a replacement part, which should arrive in a few days.  In the meantime, we have been swearing a lot and asking ourselves these questions: what effect(s) will this have on the operation of the appliance?  What can we do to mitigate these effect(s) until the replacement part comes?  And, is there any special information we need to know when replacing the part?  Please remember that we are not very bright (as illustrated by our willful destruction of a brand new part in a brand new appliance), so please give detailed instructions.  Thanks, Samurai.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:31 AM

when it is installed in the proper place,the peice you destroyed forms a part of the air duct which directs freezer tem. air toward the unit cold control. without this part the following things will happen: control will not have air directed towards it,thereby overrunning and likely freezing things in the fresh food compartment,even with the unit shut off,the opening that is there in the ducts absence will allow freezer air to "migrate" by natural convection,  can vou just tape the duct together and secure it in its proper place somehow until your replacement arrives??
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 bridgejr

bridgejr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, I've tried to tape together the bits that are left--there is mostly one large chunk, and then the sides were all crumbled.  Now that I understand what the thing is supposed to be doing (thanks!), I will try to position the damaged pieces so they direct the air toward the control.

Does the replacement part require any adhesive, or do we just stick it into the space we dug its predecessor out of?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

there are channels moulded into it,so when you push the peice into position,it is a friction fit.just don't force it cause as you've already seen,they break quite easily.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:01 AM

This is a new fridge which should be under warrantry. Call for service and it could be replaced for free.
The Seven

#6 bridgejr

bridgejr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:06 AM

I don't believe the warranty covers what we did to it, because it's not a defect in workmanship or material.  Their customer service line is closed on the weekends.  I want to call them and ask if we can have a diagram of the air diffuser so we know how to put in the replacement parts, but I don't know if they will send that or not.

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:27 AM

Here's a picture of how the parts are put together: CLICK HERE

Here's where to order the part you destroyed: Part ref#13--240362601 CLICK HERE

Did you do any damage to the other part ref#12?

Four screws, ref#81, hold the control consule up in place. Unplug unit, remove the four screws and consule should drop down for easily replacing any of the parts in it.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics