Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer stopped - now clicks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itbedave

itbedave

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

First of all - thanks for this excellent forum you provide! I've been able to find a ton of answers over the last year or so for common appliance problems that has saved me lots of $$$!

Second - kudos to a fellow Mac user! I'm using my iBook myself to review posts and parts diagrams wireless on top of the washer! ;)

Third - I'm well aware of your feelings for GE Appliances - believe me - when the ones we have finally go kaput - they will be replaced with much better models!

Finally - my immediate problem. My GE Profile Washer (WPSR3100W1WW) has stopped working during the final spin cycle. I can hear the timer continuing and clicking - like it's tripping relays - but I get no motion or anything.

A couple of months ago something similar happened after we had a problem where the tub wasn't draining during the spin cycle. My wife had tried to run it a couple of times - and then it just wouldn't run at all again. I replaced the pump at that time (the old one was bound up with lint and junk) and it seems like I recall finding some sort of reset switch around the motor area - and then all was well.

But I must be imagining things because if I did reset something, I sure can't find it now. I was thinking it was on the bottom of the motor or transmission assembly somewhere. Let me know if I'm crazy.

Anyway - if that is not an issue - my belts appear to be fine, but nothing runs at all right now - just the timer clicking away like something has overheated. I've let it set for a couple hours then tried it again - same deal though.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

Hi - Does it fill with water?
Also you said it stopped in final spin? Rinse maybe? Lets make sure cold water is getting into the machine. Rinse is done with cold water and if there is none the machine will not continue.
I personally do not know of any reset button under there.
Let me know to the above.
Have a grand day :D
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#3 itbedave

itbedave

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

Well, it doesn't do anything at all now. It was in the process of draining for the final spin when it stopped. Which now makes me think something is clogging the pump again. I set it for another rinse and got down and listened around the motor/pump area. The rinse didn't start at all (no water) and when it got to where the pump should kick on - I could only hear a hum from the pump. So I may pull that and see if it's gunked up again. My wife regularly overloads the washer - no matter how much I tell her that it will ruin it and certainly won't help the clothes!

I was crazy about the reset button - I was thinking about my garbage disposal, which I had to reset a couple months ago! DOH! Oh well.

#4 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

As you know there is only one pump. If it pumped out all the times before that I doubt thatit's the pump. Make sure you are getting cold water. That's the first thing I look for when I get to someones house and they tell me it fails at final spin/rinse.
okay, let me know what you find out there
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:53 AM

And check your lid switch..... I believe it will fill with water with lid open but will not agitate or spin if the lid switch plunger has broken off or the switch has gone bad.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 itbedave

itbedave

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:19 AM

Thanks for your replies.

It's not the lid switch - I've replaced that before and was able to check it by setting back to the beginning of a cycle instead of just the spin - it started filling and agitating fine.

After I got all of the water pumped out of the tub, I pulled the pump off and sure enough, it was clogged - with one of my daughter's socks! The last time I had to replace the pump, it was clogged with lint - how a sock got through there I don't know!

Anyway, I'm letting the pump dry out good before reinstalling since it got wet while disconnecting and draining the tub. I'll reinstall it later and let you know what I find.

#7 itbedave

itbedave

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:37 AM

I'm happy to report that I'm back in business!

It was apparently just the sock binding up the pump, causing it to overheat and preventing a relay from closing I guess - which was the clicking I was hearing from the control panel.

Got the pump reinstalled, started a new cycle and everything works perfectly... well as well as it ever did for a 10 year-old GE appliance anyway! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics