Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Refrig PSS25SGNA BS water leak at ice/water panel on door

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Melny62

Melny62

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

I have sent two messages to GE's website and they have not answered.  This refrigerator/freezer has not been hooked up to water for many months but water drips out of the holes that hold the "pins" on the plastic face panel/frame that goes around the in-door ice/water dispenser.  The water driplet trail kept returning after I would clean it off.  Finally I removed this plastic frame, but the water was coming out of the three bottom slots that hold the frame on...  please can someone tell me why and how to fix this?

Thank you!:yikes:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

I believe it is condensate water... does exterior air enter some cavity in the door? This might explain.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#3 Melny62

Melny62

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:20 AM

Thank you for your reply and thought...

Outside air may enter somewhere...but I don't see anything that is not normal in the freezer's operation or appearance.  This water has all but ceased since I used paper towels to absorb (and sop and soak and sop and soak) as much water as I could get out of the holes (this took quite a while).  When/if we reattach the freezer to a water source for ice/water, is there somewhere in the "guts" of the door that water could leak and come out these holes?

#4 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:56 AM

If there is a water dispenser in the door, the water must get into the door somehow. It is possible you have had that hose frozen inside, then crumbled when opening and closing the door... or then, there was water residing in the chamber and it has leaked out somehow. Frozen and crumbled chamber etc...

#5 El Kabong

El Kabong

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Asahi Super Dry

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:55 AM

I have the same problem on a Profile refrig I got a few years ago. The leak is at the lower right corner of the dispenser and is intermittent. I tolerated it for a while, but included it when I had a service call in for a leaking soleniod valve on the water inlet line. As a result of that call, I'm waiting for a replacement door for mine (under the service contract).

The problem is a manufacturing defect in the door, with insulation voids that allow air infiltration around the ice dispenser and subsequent condensation. According to the repair guy who came out, all they do is order a new door and replace it.

Near the end of the units first year of life, I had a service call under the original warranty and the tech asked how the dispenser was working, if I'd had any problems with it. Made me suspicous, so when the warranty ran out I got the contract just in case. It will pay for itself and then some with the new door.

#6 Melny62

Melny62

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

Now THAT sounds like an answer.  I talked to one other person who had the same problem...but he could not ever find a solution.  Unfortunately I do not have a service contract...bought the fridge from an individual (probably why they sold it).  I suppose I will have to inquire about the door being replaced.  I read something about a GE Profile Refrig. Recall...but I could not find out what the cause of the recall is/was.  Anybody know?

(thinking about $$$$$$$$$$$ going out for a *^#$* refrig. that I bought used in an attempt to "save" money...  get bat..hit self on head.

#7 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

There may be some method to plug the insulation voids. Pieces of superlon or similar stuff... do it so that exterior air doesn't enter them at either end. If you can remove dispenser from door, check out if that space has openings into the voids too. anyway, you want the insulation to dry out thoroughly before this. Otherwise you may have a mildew problem building up. This way, your fridge may be out of use for some days if you're unlucky...

For a previously owned fridge and no contract/warranty, maybe you're better off getting a used door from a silimar unit, do the plugging job on it if necessary, and install it.

#8 Melny62

Melny62

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 02:51 PM

I think the book that came with the fridge tells how to take the dispenser off...i was thinking of that spray type insulation foam...in very small shots in whatever holes I might find...wouldn't want it to overexpand and mis-shape the door...  Sounds like a lemon...a fixable one, but not an easy fix or a cheap fix. 

Thank you so much, everyone...for your help and input.

#9 El Kabong

El Kabong

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Asahi Super Dry

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

If you shoot the door with spray foam, make sure to get the non expansive kind.

Good luck.

#10 harryf

harryf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

go to web site  bringgoodthingstolife.org  they have a class action suit against g/e and list mod/serial# covered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics