Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore/Whirlpool SxS refrigerator section not cold after repair... help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ap_dfw

ap_dfw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

Model 106.50792000 (Sears Kenmore by Whirlpool, side-by-side) ,  mfr date: 2000.

BACKGROUND: Couple of days ago found the fridge warming up. After doing some research in the forums, I found one possible cause - Start Relay... sure enough that was exactly it (PTC discs crumbled inside). Bought and installed new start relay (Klixon 4SP1023), compressor kicked in...

... freezer got cold rather quickly (don't know if cold enough, ~ 20 deg F according to a simple bi-metal thermometer), but the refrigerator section temp has remained at ~ 60 deg. F for 8 hours now!! Cold air is blowing from the freezer thru the vent in the upper left corner in the fridge section, but the air flow seems week , same 20 deg F at the vent (I have nothing to compare it to).  The fan behind the metal screen in the freezer section is/was operating.  I also cleaned the condenser coils undeneath the unit.  Freezer setting was Med/5, and fridge seting was 6.  Of course, I checked the doors being closed, etc. Compressor fan is running. Both sections are almost empty.

Any diagnostic pointers? What symptoms should I expect in this situation? something I could measure? i.e. different components temperatures, voltages, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

PS   I also noticed that water filter, p/n 46 9908, that has been siting around for a while, does not fit in its slot all the way --- any ideas here?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:52 AM

if your freezer temp does not pull down below 20 degrees,there is a problem. if you are certain the freezer fan is operating,remove the rear freezer cover and observe the evaporator coils as the compressor operates- it should show an even frosting pattern throughout the length of the coils,if it has a heavy buildup at the end of the coils,herein lies the story.  compressor start relays usually fail for some reason,and you may have found yours. freezer should operate between plus 5 deg and minus 5 deg,with a good,even frost pattern.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 ap_dfw

ap_dfw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

kdog - thanks! I did check temps this morning, and freezer was 5-10 F, and frig dropped down to 50F.   I did take the freezer's lining panel out -- it took me a few minutes -- and the attached pictures show the results: immediately after taking the cover off most of the coils melted the frosting; after closing the door, 5 minutes later, even frosting appeared on those coils -- only the thick top tube and couple of tubes at bottom were still covered with thick layer of frost.
... checked again in a few minutes… and defrost cycle apparently has just started, freezer fan turned off; unplugged power, plugged back in... fan re-started, the heater gradually cooled down, frosting process started up again…

Anything else I could check while the freezer cover is off??

I'm still lost :(

Attached Files

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:17 AM

Sorry to say, but that's not looking good. The tube that comes in at the top then runs all the way to bottom on right side is where freon feeds into the system. So the coils have lots of frost at bottom but look worse as you move up, it should be a good even frost pattern over complete evaporator.

You should wait for some other opinions from others that are better at sealed system work then me, I don't get involved in sealed system work at all so I could be mistaken on this one.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:33 AM

i agree that the frost pattern is inconsistent,and the freezer should have no problem attaining minus 5 degrees,imo, you are experiencing compressor failure,which explains why the starting relay failed in the first place- nice pictures!!  since it is a kenmore badged whirlpool,contact sears and discuss your repair options with them.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics