Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

not2handyman

Kitchenaid Microwave: "For the Way It Makes Noise"

26 posts in this topic

KitchenAid Microwave/Hood Model #KHMS155LSS-0

My microwave is making a grinding noise when the turntable is turned on. Removed glass - problem persists. Removed roller ring - problem persists. Is this a defective motor? And if so, is it a do-it-yourself repair? Samurai - how much for the part?

Thanks,

not2handyman

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You can usually replace the motor by removing the bottom panel. It can be done with the unit installed, but it's easier with the thing down on the ground.

Nick

both links go to the same part on the Repair Clinic site

Thanks, guys. Can we give a "% certainty" that this will solve the problem of a grinding noise?

Does your M/O have a turntable on/off button? If not you can always remove the bottom panel and disconnect the motor electrical leads to confirm.

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

both links go to the same part on the Repair Clinic site

Yes, but it's the WAY they go there.

Yes, there is an on/off button. And it works. How can I use it to troubleshoot?

Put in a cup of water, turn it on for one minute, notice grinding noise and turntable operation, turn turntable off and see if noise continues. If noise continues, tt motor is not problem.

Coffee cup of water with turntable on: Noise.

Coffee cup of water with turntable off: Noise persists.

Plot thickens?

The noise may be coming from the stirrer fan motor. There really isn't a easy way to test this theory, you need to take the unit down and remove the outer case to gain access.

Nick

Thanks for keeping up with the post. At this point - if I'm going to buy the part(s) from repairclinic.com - would it be prudent to begin by replacing the stirrer fan motor straight away? Otherwise, I could take the unit down and open the case, first. And if I could identify (exploded diagram available?) the part - would it be obvious to me that it is toast, or would I need to do some meter diagnostics? Could you provide a part number for the stirrer fan motor?

[user=425]nickfixit[/user] wrote:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=916399

This is the stirrer fan motor, it looks just like the turntabe motor.

I don't know how the other guys make the links look look less technical

Here's the difference...

http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=916399

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=916399

The latter way makes RCC do a tiny donation to the fund if a sale on that part is fixed.

I need someone to give me directions on how to do it that way. I'll ask in the Dojo.

Thanks

I do it by collecting the part links to a separate text file... then I just paste over that difference, and copy them back to my messages. Haven't so far found a better way. That doesn't mean there isn't one.

Motor

Testing my mental faculties

Test passed. :dude:

I are learnin' stuff   :)

:cheers:That's school of life - Entirely open studying plan and schedule with a wide span of various subjects. Very few students ask to be admitted in the first place, but hardly any wish to quit.

:?

Anybody know where I can get an exploded diagram/service manual for this microwave?

Thanks

Repairguys/gals-

O.K. I ordered the stirrer fan motor replacement kit from repairclinic.com. I downloaded the model-specific installation instructions from Kitchenaid. I understand how the unit attaches to the mounting plate on the back wall and is secured by the two bolts in the cabinet above. BUT, when trying to remove the unit so that I can get at the stirrer fan motor, the unit will not swing (rotate) downward more than a couple of inches. This is preventing me from being able to "unhook" the unit from the tabs on the mounting plate. I have checked clearance between the unit and the upper cabinet: It's tight but I don't think its making contact as I attempt to rotate down. I also broke up the tile grout at the joint where the unit makes contact with the tiled back wall, thinking that perhaps that was keeping me from rotating downward. No luck.

ANY suggestions. I'm putting quite a bit of downward torque on the top of the unit and it won't budge. I don't want to trash the unit!

Thanks,

not2handyman