Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

any thoughts on vacuum cleaners?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

My upright vacuum cleaner from the 70s is finally fading after many internal cleanings and belt replacements, and I'm wondering where the best point is on the price/quality curve for vacuum cleaners lies?

Are the positive Dyson reviews on epinions earned or are they just people trying to justify the money they spent on a vacuum cleaner?

If I want something that will still be pulling pet hair from the couch in 15 years where should I be looking?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 hvacdrd

hvacdrd

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

Not sure why this is here in the HVAC forum but I give my thumbs up on the Dyson. I am amazed every time I use the thing how powerful it is and how much it picked up after just using the old upright.

#3 Ry4an

Ry4an

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

Not sure why this is here in the HVAC forum...

Heh, well it is about moving air around.   Mostly I figured fix-it-now was a good place to find people that knew when cost yielded quality and when it didn't and this was the closet forum.

Thanks for your help,

#4 jnsnwt

jnsnwt

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

I second the vote for a Dyson vac.

A little pricey but it does a good job:D

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

I think they all suck! :P

#6 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:39 AM

If any of you gents can teach my wife to turn them on I would appreciate it!!  I have two upright Hoover Wind tunnels for about 5 years and have had great success with them.  One can be used with or without a bag and I do prefer to use it with the bag.   One thing you have to get is the extended hose to clean stairs or you will kill yourself lugging it.  The rotary attachments are the deal on the stairs and other fine areas.  I recently tried an Orack, Oreck, Orick, or however you spell it and was really not impressed.  Wasn't mine so I don't know how clogged the bag was or stretched the belt was but it really, well. did not suck well.     
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#7 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:11 AM

We have used about every brand there is, last year we got an Oreck as a gift and my wife loves it.  We have inside pets and it picks up hair great.  Wifey wanted to change the carpet but after getting this thing and using it for awhile it almost restored the carpets to like new condition.
This is the DAY that the LORD has made, REJOICE and be glad in it.....

#8 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:19 AM

I do know that when the bag gets full it does lose suction.  I don't know if this is to let you know when it's time to change or not, but with a good bag it really sucks  LOL...  We've had the big Kirby commercial,  Phantom upright and canister style, dirt devils etc.  I have a customer that purchased one of the new Dysons and she seemed to like it pretty good.  I used the wand to clean out her dryer and I wasn't to impressed with it....In the days of the $300 to$500  vaccums I really don't know if your not better to just go buy one of the cheapest 12 amp ones from Walmart and use it till it dies then go get another
This is the DAY that the LORD has made, REJOICE and be glad in it.....

#9 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

My Electrolux central vac is the best thing since sliced bread.  It has tremendous suction and if one of the kids socks gets sucked in I just retrieve it in the canistor located in the garage.

It has a washable foam filter so no paper filters to buy and I have it vented outside so no airborne dust remains in the house.  It is quite since the vacuum part is in the garage and it is durable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics