Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag A412 washer spin issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:19 AM

I have an old Maytag A412 washer that I believe to be pushing 25 or more years.  It was given to be by my neighbor. She had it sitting out in the back yard for probably a year ot two.  After replacing the belts, cleaning out the weeds/dirt, and some rewiring of the water inlet valve it has been a hard working machine. In the two years I've owned it it was made this thumping sound in the spin cycle. It starts out slow and loud and speeds up and quiets down as the tub gets faster. Once the the tub is up to speed the thumping is gone.  It's never bothered me, I just dismissed is a problem caused by sitting outside on it's back.  The other day though it threw off it's drive belt.  After replacing the belt the machine now makes a thump-BAM!! sound as it spins. It does this three or four times before it goes back to it's "nornal" behavior. The motor also bucks fiercely just before the loud bams. What could be the cause of this?  Is it just too old? It's worked great for a free washer, but I would very much like to keep from buying a new one just yet.

Regards
Ryan

As a side note: My dad owns and still uses a similiar model that's a few years newer. He has never had a problem except worn out belts. And it's still working like new.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

[align=left]Hello, my thumping friend.  It sounds to this old Mujahideen warrior's ears as though you need new damper pads.  Check them for integrity and replace as needed. [/align]

[align=left]

[align=left][/align]       Posted Image[/align]

[align=left]Lubricate the new damper pads with silicone grease. Reassemble the washer. Check tub centering and adjust if needed using nuts on eyebolts.[/align]

Allahu Akbar!

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

And don't forget to check the brake package, too:

Posted Image

#4 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

What do these damper pads do? Also, what would I be looking for when checking the brake package?  Thanks for the help thus far.  Also since I don't like buying tools unless I have too, what kind of tool can I make work I the place of a dealer supplied tool?

Regards
Ryan

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

Should look like this:

Posted Image

Get 'em here:  http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=1282

No special tools, putty knife, block of wood and emery cloth awwta e all you need.

#6 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:22 PM

Turned out to be the drive belt.  It had a stiff (burnt) spot on it from when I first got the washer.  The tub was seize from dirt and weeds so when we tested it, it spun the motor, but not the drive pulley. So the belt slipped and burned.  Talk about smoke.  We had to free the tub by laying it on it's back and turning it by hand. From that point on it worked fine. I always assume the thumping was from the tub.  I think that the belt has finally worn to the point that stiff spot is harder and it causes the motor to pull hard into its slide-mount.  Now that belt won't stay through a whole cycle. So tomorrow I have to go pick one up.  Thanks for the help anyway, it is much appreciated and I learned that washing machine has damper pads and brake assemblies.  Didn't know that before.

Regards
Ryan

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:42 AM

Read your orginal post and you may see why you got bad info.

You said, "After replacing the belts, cleaning out the weeds/dirt, and some rewiring of the water inlet valve it has been a hard working machine."

So from that we would assume that your actual purchased new belts and replaced them, but obviously you ment your just reinstalled the old belts, correct?
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:17 AM

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

Read your orginal post and you may see why you got bad info.

So from that we would assume that your actual purchased new belts and replaced them, but obviously you ment your just reinstalled the old belts, correct?

Yep, garbage in, garbage out.

#9 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:48 AM

No I put new belts on it,  but I didn't know the tub was locked up.  so when I turned it on it burned the new belt.  Didn't think nothin of it for two years.

Ryan

#10 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:50 AM

Ok, got the new belt on today.  Works great now.  Next question.  The motor seems to be making this squeaking sound like a cricket concert.  Never heard it before over the thump-thump.  Is there any way to lubricate it? If so, what do I use?  Thanks.

Regards
Ryan Hennessee

#11 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

OK,  I have a really SERIOUS new problem with this washer. I washed a load of clothes earlier. It did fine got them all good clean.  I took them out and put them in the dryer. All was good.  I went back to the washer to start another load.  Pushed the dial in turned it back to the start of the cycle. When I pulled the dial out, I felt a little buzz. I didn't notice it at first. I went over to check the temperature settings. I put my fingers on the top of the console and felt a nice big ZAP.  I nealy punched myself trying to get away.  I IMMEDIATELY unplugged the washer. I took the console off and looked for broken wire, or bent terminals that would contact the casing. I didn't find anything. I wanted to use my multimeter to test for continuity between the case and the wires, but I can't find it.  I took the front off and check the wires going to the motor and valve body,  everything looks fine there too.  This has never happened in the too years I've owned the washer.. I'm stumped until I can get my multimeter found.  any Ideas?

Regards
Ryan Hennessee

#12 ryan_975

ryan_975

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:18 PM

I'm going to start a new thread on the shocking issue since the subject of this thread has been fixed.

Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics