Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE fridge runs constantly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobede

bobede

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

Hi guys,

I have a GE refrigerator, model TBF14SKC. Recently we've had some hot weather and the fridge started running constantly. I pulled it away from the wall and vacuumed all the dust off the coils on the back of the fridge. It's still running. The temperature in the fridge area has dropped and things started thawing in the freezer. I'm assuming from reading some of the other posts here, that I have a defrost problem. I also noticed that the compressor was quite hot, so I unplugged the fridge. There is a small black knob at the back of the refrigerator compartment under the light bulb. Can I put it into defrost mode by turning that knob? Should I be trying that at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:43 PM

Was the fan underneath the fridge, in back, running?

#3 bobede

bobede

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

I can feel some air moving there, so I think the fan is running.

Bob

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 12 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

Need more detailed information.  The food comp. gets its cold air from the frreezer,  If the freezer is thawing does not make sense the food side temp is going down, should be warming up??  If the compressor is real hot, sounds like it might be kicking out on the overload??
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 bobede

bobede

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

Doh! Sorry. You're right the temp in the food compartment is rising / warmer, not dropping. see what drinking warm beer is doing to me.:P

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:57 PM

See if the fan in the freezer is running and the cond. fan, if it has one.  Sounds like the compressor is overheating.  If all fans are running and the cond. is clean might have a compressor going down.  See if can cool it down with box fan?  If still runs hot, may be a gonner..

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 bobede

bobede

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:19 AM

I had the fridge unplugged all night, and no evidence of water anywhere. This morning I removed the cover from the back at the bottom. Lots of lint there around the fan. I cleaned that up and plugged it in. The fan is running. The fan in the freezer is running as well. I'll leave it run and see what happens. If it seems to be overheating, I'll try your box fan idea.

Thanks for your help Pegi.

Bob

#8 bobede

bobede

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

Pegi

Looks like you were right. After it ran for a while, I heard a click. I'm guessing that it was the thermal overload. The compressor must be on its' last legs. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new fridge. Oh well, I bought it used and got five years out of it. I guess that isn't too bad.

Thanks again for your help!

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:07 AM

;)   Quite Welcome.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics