Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
bobede

GE fridge runs constantly

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have a GE refrigerator, model TBF14SKC. Recently we've had some hot weather and the fridge started running constantly. I pulled it away from the wall and vacuumed all the dust off the coils on the back of the fridge. It's still running. The temperature in the fridge area has dropped and things started thawing in the freezer. I'm assuming from reading some of the other posts here, that I have a defrost problem. I also noticed that the compressor was quite hot, so I unplugged the fridge. There is a small black knob at the back of the refrigerator compartment under the light bulb. Can I put it into defrost mode by turning that knob? Should I be trying that at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Was the fan underneath the fridge, in back, running?

I can feel some air moving there, so I think the fan is running.

Bob

Need more detailed information.  The food comp. gets its cold air from the frreezer,  If the freezer is thawing does not make sense the food side temp is going down, should be warming up??  If the compressor is real hot, sounds like it might be kicking out on the overload??

Doh! Sorry. You're right the temp in the food compartment is rising / warmer, not dropping. see what drinking warm beer is doing to me.:P

See if the fan in the freezer is running and the cond. fan, if it has one.  Sounds like the compressor is overheating.  If all fans are running and the cond. is clean might have a compressor going down.  See if can cool it down with box fan?  If still runs hot, may be a gonner..

I had the fridge unplugged all night, and no evidence of water anywhere. This morning I removed the cover from the back at the bottom. Lots of lint there around the fan. I cleaned that up and plugged it in. The fan is running. The fan in the freezer is running as well. I'll leave it run and see what happens. If it seems to be overheating, I'll try your box fan idea.

Thanks for your help Pegi.

Bob

Pegi

Looks like you were right. After it ran for a while, I heard a click. I'm guessing that it was the thermal overload. The compressor must be on its' last legs. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new fridge. Oh well, I bought it used and got five years out of it. I guess that isn't too bad.

Thanks again for your help!

;)   Quite Welcome.....