Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire motor brushes for model FWT449GFS2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 texaslowco

texaslowco

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:45 AM

Need new brushes for spin motor 131276200 but don't want to shell out $200 for a new motor. Helwig can't help. Anyone have spares for a family wearing moderately wet clothes?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

Here's the brushes that you can purchase that should work on the older generation Electrolux FrontLoad washers, (You can't purchase the brushes from Electrolux, you must replace the complete motor which is complete BS....).

This part of an ASKO service bulletin shows two different types of brushes that Asko uses in there machines. If I remember correctly the older generation Electrolux motors that have removable brushes are also FHP brand motors and use the same brush that Asko uses.

Part# 8801195 CLICK HERE to see and/or order.
If the above will work, you would need to order 2 of them @ $32.55 each, I believe, You might want to contact RepairClinic and verify that is only a single brush and not a set.

And at that price $32.55 each I should have quoted you a much higher price for the used part, but the offer I made to you still stands, (If I had known the price before I made my offer to you I would have quoted you $25.00 for a used set).

Attached Files

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:45 AM

A follow up on using ASKO motor brushes on the Electrolux FrontLoad washer.

Not a direct fit, ASKO uses the "L" marked set of brushes, Electrolux uses the ones marked with a "R".

I do believe the internal carbon brush and spring to be the same and can be swapped from one holder to the other with no problems. (I will come back and edit this when I find out if for sure they can be swapped).
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:20 AM

Ok, final follow-up.

The Asko brushes can be used on a Frigidaire/Electrolux Frontloader motor# 131276200.

The differences are the black plastic brush holder and the connection terminal on the brush.

The Electrolux uses 3/16" terminals on the brushes, Asko uses 1/8" terminals. The Electrolux 3/16" connectors that slide onto the brush terminals have a positive lock and will slide onto and lock onto the smaller 1/8" terminal good and tight and should be no problem.

You would have to take the black plastic holder assembly apart, (it just snaps together very loosely), and swap the internal brush/spring/metal case into the old holder.

You can't use the Electrolux brushes on an Asko motor unless you cut off and change the 1/8" Asko connectors to 3/16" connectors.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:27 PM

Good info, Willie, thanks for posting that! :dude:

#6 srockman

srockman

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:25 AM

Do you know if these brushes will work with a Frigidaire FWT445RFS washer, motor number 131717100/E?

My motor is shown below:

Thanks!

Attached Files

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

That is the same motor, all the above discussion applies to you.

I don't know where you got the part# 131717100 for the motor, that number comes up as a timer but not the one for your machine.

When you look up the motor for your machine, it is the part# 131276200 as this discussion concerns.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 srockman

srockman

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:32 AM

Thanks, Willie!

I will order the part. One of the brushes is worn and is very near the end of its life. The other has at least 1/4" to go. Would you suggest replacing both at this time?

Thanks!

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

[user=16809]srockman[/user] wrote:

Thanks, Willie!

I will order the part. One of the brushes is worn and is very near the end of its life. The other has at least 1/4" to go. Would you suggest replacing both at this time?

Thanks!

That would be the only sensible thing to do!!!!

1/4" to go isn't much considering, new the brush will extend out of the holder about 1-1/4".
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Pacer Guy

Pacer Guy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:44 AM

First timer to the forum here.  The $5 subscription is absolutely worth the information I've learned.

I'm following up on this excellent chain with my thanks and gratitude.  My Frigidaire Gallery F/L washer, model 417.39022890,  stopped spinning but everything else seemed to be working.  At first the problem was intermittent, then within a couple of days the drum movement was completely dead. 

With the back of the unit removed I turned the drum by hand while the washer was turned on and got it to spin, to be entertained by a lightning show of flashes coming from the back of the motor.  I found the identical description in the following thread:

http://applianceguru.com/forum2/1418.html

Like other descriptions I've found on this forum, one brush was completely worn down to a stub, and the other brush has more than an inch of material left.  The commutator was pretty messy but I was able to clean it up with several dressings of sandpaper while spinning the motor by hand.  This unit has the FHP Motor, part number 131276200.

Even though the unit is about 8 years old, everything else seems to be in pretty good shape and we don't want to cough up the cash for a replacement F/L, so I've just ordered the brushes listed in this thread from Repair Clinic.  The price of $32.55 is per brush, so you do have to order two in order to replace the pair (the only wise thing to do in such circumstances).

After searching the internet, I've found no other source of information beyond this site for finding replacement brushes for the motor.  Also, my brushes have the letter R on them, while Repair Clinic only sells the ones with the L.  I'll try the advice on this thread and hope to swap the brushes into my plastic housings.

I'll post an update confirming that the brush swap works in a couple of days when I get the parts, but I've no reason to doubt the sage advice everybody has provided here.  $80 to fix the problem (including S&H) as opposed to $200+ for the cost of a new motor. . . . priceless.  Free flowing sudsy tap to everyone!

Joe the Pacer Guy

AMC Pacer 400ci SB TH400 Dana44posi ZOOM

#11 srockman

srockman

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

[user=20655]Pacer Guy[/user] wrote:

After searching the internet, I've found no other source of information beyond this site for finding replacement brushes for the motor.  Also, my brushes have the letter R on them, while Repair Clinic only sells the ones with the L.  I'll try the advice on this thread and hope to swap the brushes into my plastic housings.

I am not sure what the letters signify, but swap out the housings and you'll be fine. In other words, take the new brushes out of the plastic housing and put them in the old housing (removing the old brushes first!). This should be no problem for anyone who has kept a Pacer running for as long as you have!

I did that, and my washer runs like new. The brushes seemed a bit spendy at first glance, and I can't figure out why they are so expensive. But it fixed the problem, wifey is happy, so all is good! :)

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

[user=16809]srockman[/user] wrote:

After searching the internet, I've found no other source of information beyond this site for finding replacement brushes for the motor. Also, my brushes have the letter R on them, while Repair Clinic only sells the ones with the L. I'll try the advice on this thread and hope to swap the brushes into my plastic housings.

I am not sure what the letters signify, but swap out the housings and you'll be fine. In other words, take the new brushes out of the plastic housing and put them in the old housing (removing the old brushes first!). This should be no problem for anyone who has kept a Pacer running for as long as you have!

I did that, and my washer runs like new. The brushes seemed a bit spendy at first glance, and I can't figure out why they are so expensive. But it fixed the problem, wifey is happy, so all is good! :)

I believe the letter somehow relates to the mounting angle. On the Frigidaire motors they have a place where you can mount the brush from two different angles, but if you put it in the wrong set of mounting holes the brush end won't contact the commutator correctly.

I can assure you the advice about using the ASKO brushes for the Frigidaire unit will work, I tested with a used ASKO and Frigidare motor brushes that I had before giving the advice.

Srockman, did you notice in Pacer Guy's signature line, that isn't your everyday Pacer there, that is one special sleeper car. I bet he sure has had some fun with that car when coming up beside those hotshots in there fast muscle cars.

Sorry to say this Pacer Guy, that was one of the ugliest cars every made..........but still, I like yours!!!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#13 Pacer Guy

Pacer Guy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'll just ad my two bits to attest to everything said before about this brush replacement.   It is a piece of cake, even for a non-professional, mechanically inclined tinkerer.  Parts were delivered today.  Brushes swapped easily between the plastic housings and I had the unit running within 30 minutes.  The terminals were the same size too.

Thanks again everyone for the help.  Now only if I could get the damn hoses to stop dripping -- happens every time I reconnect them!

And you're right Willie -- the Pacer is a wonderfully fun sleeper to drive.  Not quite the cop-magnet as a mustang. 

It only rides like a Pacer if it's wide like a Pacer.

AMC Pacer 400ci SB TH400 Dana44posi ZOOM

#14 srockman

srockman

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:14 AM

And you're right Willie -- the Pacer is a wonderfully fun sleeper to drive.  Not quite the cop-magnet as a mustang. 

It only rides like a Pacer if it's wide like a Pacer.

My lasting memory of the Pacer is from one of the commercials, where the gas station attendant (remember those?) says, "Say, honey, where's the rest of your car?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics