Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

PM From ynot151: Kenmore 106.59592990 refrig. cold freezer warm fridge

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:56 AM

Why I was PM'ed and this wasn't posted to board, I don't know. I'm posting so all can give help.

Willie
============================================================

I'm not sure if my damper or my thermostat is broken. Kenmore 106.59592990 AKA whirlpool

I had/have a 50 deg. Fridge and a 10 deg freezer. I have moved and tested both temp knobs and did a man. defrost. The damper was closed and I thought was frozen shut. The compressor and everything else is normal. When I started the fridge up it got good and cold fast on both sides. I went to bed with my fridge at 38 deg. in the AM is back to 50 deg. with the damper shut! I have great airflow in the freezer but the damper will not open. I can open it up with a butter knife with no resistance and the fridge gets to "30 something" and then closes with force. (I used a drinking straw to try to keep it open but it crushed it closing).

What do I have here? A cold freezer and a damper that works to keep the frigid from getting too cold, but will not open (without a butter knife). Can the thermostat fail in only one way, that is, can it fail to signal the damper to open?

A bad thermostat or damper? I don't want to replace both. $$$

Please help.
ynot151
=============================================================
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:29 AM

It could be either of two different parts.

It could be the "Cold control/t-stat" for the refrigerator side or it could be the "Air diffuser assembly"

T-stat for Refrig Compartment 2203251 CLICK HERE

Air diffuser assembly 2209751 CLICK HERE

I've never had to work on one of these system yet so can't tell you which of the two part you will need.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help you though.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 ynot151

ynot151

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:38 AM

sorry to pm you but you seemed to know your stuff.

thanks for posting for me. i will have to order both parts and try it out.

Thanks

tony

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:51 AM

No problem Tony.

Just in case you didn't already know, if you order the parts from the links I gave you then you can return the parts that you don't need if they don't fix your problem.

I believe the "air diffuser assembly" is electrically operated and the refrigerator t-stat controls it. From your description it sounds like the diffuser assembly is working but closing to soon which would make me lean towards the thermostat.

Come on guys, someone here must of worked on this type of Whirlpool system before. Do these air diffuser assemblies have any known problems like Tony is experiencing?
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:59 AM

Lots of issues with these. Usual problem is that the thin plastic of the damper breaks, meaning that the motor turns but doesn't move the damper in one direction. It's a sliding louvre, rather than a moving "door". I'd definitely change the diffuser assembly out given this description. 
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 ynot151

ynot151

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:22 AM

Darn, I just ordered the T-stat and not the damper.  I figured out that if the t-stat fails it will fail in the closed damper direction, so the fridge side does not become a freezer and over-tax the compressor.

If the T-stat is not the fix then I will buy the damper.  It could be the damper for two reasons. 1. it was redesigned (a red flag) 2. I can freely move the louvers with no resistance to the open (and closed) position with a butter knife or screwdriver.

The latter is a bit of a mystery because I'm not sure how much "slack" the motor gives you to manually move the louvers. I can do the same thing to a new damper in the one in my basement . I have a 1 year old "clone" (in black ) for a Beer and Wine party fridge in the basement. It has been called to duty as a general cooler for my "broken" one.

I will keep you posted.  The t-stat is being shipped now.  

I bet you it's the darn damper...See, this has been the the thing that has been bugging me!

TONY

#7 ynot151

ynot151

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:32 AM

It is the Damper.

I removed it and took it apart. Look at the picture at the screwdriver end. (sorry if too small but hard to upload pic.) the louver slider on the motor end is snapped.

Hope this helps.

TONY

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:24 PM

:party:
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#9 ynot151

ynot151

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:44 AM

Thanks! Had cold beers last night from the fixed fridge! 38 degrees-of sobriety.

I uploaded a picture of the broken louver but it did not make it to my last post.

I will try again.

TONY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics