Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool dishwasher buttons stop working one at a time

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnO

JohnO

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

I have a Whirlpool Gold Model # GU940SCGB1. About 3 months ago the Normal wash button on the control panel stopped working. We began to use the energy efficent button. It stopped working yesterday and now are using the China button. Is it a bad pad, control panel or do I just need to go in and clean it...Thanks! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

Cannot be sure but sounds like a bad touch pad.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 JohnO

JohnO

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:13 AM

Is there any simple test?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:39 AM

Very simple test.  Refer to the interface matrix for your touchpad.  To test the Normal cycle button, use your ohm meter to measure forward and reverse bias at ribbon connector points P1-4 and P1-13 with the Normal button pushed in. 

#5 JohnO

JohnO

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:49 AM

My simple grasshopper mind is probably asking a stupid question but since it is a touch pad and has a led light that lets you know if it is pushed or not (which doesn't come on regardless of how many times you push it), how do you know if it is on or not? Also, since the led light does not come on, doesn't this say that no current is going through the switch?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:41 AM

You'll know it's pushed because your finger (or someone else's) will be mashing the button while making the test.  Since this is a continuity test, this is done with the power disconnected and the control panel ribbon connector dsconnected from the control panel. 

If you're still confused by what I'm saying, then you should not attempt this test yourself as this is beyond your technical ability and you're likely to attain false or misleading results.

#7 JohnO

JohnO

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

As you said, it was a very easy test. For the normal, I could not get a reading at all. I couldn't get one for Low energy either, which are the two buttons that don't work. But I got a reading for China, which is the only one that works. Obviously it is the touch panel, and I will be ordering it through your site! Thanks a bunch.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,927 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:03 AM

Nice shootin', Hoss!  :armed:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics