Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag LA612

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chmoo

chmoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Most honorable Samurai Appliance Repair Man-San. 

Ancient Maytag LA612 dishonors family refusing to agitate!  Change both belts, no relief!  Spin cycle work honorably, agitation cycle smoke new belt!  Please to advise method of transmission removal & repair.

Arigato and Sayonara

chmoo

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:07 AM

Take off the front panel, start washer, when washer starts to agitate(or should agitate) pull back on on motor which sets on a carriage that slides back and forth, you should hear the agitator start sloshing the water around, if that happens replace the belts. Don't forget to support this site and get em here. Also check the rollers on the carriage, could be broke or rusted up also check the springs on the carriage

#3 chmoo

chmoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the reply,  I changed both belts prior to posting here.  The motor carriage moves freely, and the springs appear to have enough tension.  The spin cycle works normally, but agitation just causes the belt to slip.  The transmission input pulley seems very hard to turn by hand as well.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:42 AM

It sounds like you have the dreaded frozen up Maytag agitator shaft. Shaft seal/packing goes bad water gets down into agitator shaft and locks it up.

Repair would involved complete removal and disassembly of transmission, and possibly a new upper transmission housing if bushing area is to damaged.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 chmoo

chmoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:55 AM

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

Repair would involved complete removal and disassembly of transmission, and possibly a new upper transmission housing if bushing area is to damaged.

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I was afraid of. :yikes: 

Now, what's the preferred method for removing this tranny?  Do I have to take the whole drum assembly out?

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

Yes, that would the method of attack.

1) You would need to remove the front panel, (two screws at bottom).
2) Raise top, (two screws under front corners).
3) remove top tub spash/water inlet guard and agitator.
4) With special spanner wrench remove spin basket and tub stem seal assembly.
5) remove the water level hose from right back corner of tub.
6) Remove the three bolts holding the three support legs to outer tub and lift outer tub up and out.
7) now you are to the transmission. You could probably work on it supported just the way it stands in the base. I believe the oil level is just to the level of the lip of the bottom half of the transmission case, so you could seperate the top half off and do the work need to free the frozen agitator shaft and then reassemble in reverse order.

If you do decide to complete this repair it would be advisable to replace the tub stem seal assembly or you very well could have a leak if you just replace the old one after taking it apart.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 chmoo

chmoo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:03 AM

Many, MANY thanks for your detailed reply.  Should I need parts for this repair I will definitely order them here.  Great forum, great help, and a helluva lot more entertainment here than I would have thought possible on an appliance forum!

:dude:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics