Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool LA5800XPN0 Won't Spin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alakani

alakani

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

Heya! I love your forum!

Anyhow, I have a Whirlpool LA5800XPN0 that won't spin. The agitator, pump, and every other function is fine.

I've checked the lid switch, and it is in fact broken, but manually shorting the wires going to it doesn't really seem to do anything. Are you supposed to be able to hear the transmission shifting when you do this?

Is there some way I can force the thing into spin cycle, to rule out timer/electrical/sensor problems?

Thanks so much!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 alakani

alakani

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

Well, I've been poking around the thing some more, and it looks like one of the two solenoids on the shifter thingy (Wig-Wag?) is bad.

Sucks that I have to buy the whole thing instead of just the one solenoid, but at least it's cheap :D

Thanks all!

#3 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:23 PM

I wish all of them were this easy.

#4 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

I'll tell you, you have done good. You can double check that selonoid with a continuity check. Take a look. Sometimes only the wire itself going to that side of the wig wag got broken in 1/2 about 8 inches back from all the years of bending. If thats the case just add a small length of wore and make good, secure connections and tape them to protect them. Anotherr easy test would be to move the two wires that are on the agitate side over to the spin side and vice versa and see if it spins okay when you move the timer to agaitate. This will tell you if it is the selonoid or if its in that wire. If it spins using those two wires while the unit is set to agitate it is not the seloid probably just the broken wire. So sheck that before buying a part. If you do need a wig wag please grab it here http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=3379  Like I said They do break often about 6 to 8 inches back. Just something to check.
The easiest way to work on this is to turn the machine so that you are working from the rear and tilt it forward at about a 45 degree angle. This will aloow you to lay under it too. If the wig wag has to come off I use a large flat blad screw driver and pry it up from the dead center under the wig wag on top of the trans. Putiin it back on and getting it lined up can be a little trickey so take your time and line those two shoes /shafts into the holes of the wig wag, at the same time sliding the center shaft on. The cneter shaft can be very tight to slide down. Just keep going in a left/right motion as your pulling down until that bolt hole lines up with the hole in the shaft.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#5 rfisher56

rfisher56

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:14 PM

I'm having exact same problem with my whirlpool LA5310XPW0 and just wanted someone to tell me I'm on the right track.  Checked continuity to the solenoids and all is well. The agitate solenoid is engaging and therefore it agitates.   Checked ohms on the spin solenoid and shows open circuit and am assuming this means it's bad and reason machine won't spin.    Sorry if should seem obvious but am  rather electrically chalanged.:) 

#6 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

what is an easy quick test is to unplug the unit. Take the two wires off the spin side selonoid and put them on the agitate side selonoid. And reverse the other two left over.
Plug the unit back in. Turn the timer into agitate and see if it spins. If not then you know the selonoid is bad. Also a reading of "open" or zero continuity is also telling you that.

Let me know how it works out for you.
Our pleasure at here at Samurai'
GLC
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS

#7 rfisher56

rfisher56

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

Hey GLC, did the solenoid switch and confirmed bad spin solenoid.  Still a little flumexed by fact that I'm not gettting full 110 voltage to that solenoid?  Maybe checking it wrong?  Putting my voltmeter probes on 2 wires attatching to solenoid while spin cycle in progress and read off volt meter reading of 20-30 volts AC.  Am at this point going to order new wigwag and see what happens.  Does this make sense?  Thanks, Bob

#8 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 03:38 AM

Nah....try looking backwards about 12 " on the wires, pulling on them, and see if one is cracked. Maybe the white one.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics