Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer Start-up

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzion

Fuzion

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

Hi, I have a Sears Kenmore Dryer Model #110.76912693.

The problem is that, When I hit the start button, I can hear the motor hum, but it seems like it doesnt have enough start torque to get going, so for the past 6 months, I would have to use a thin ruler to press down the door switch, hit the start button, manually rotate the drum to get it going, then shut the door and release the ruler. 

Can you tell me what may be the possible causes, and what I need to change/replace to get it working properly again.

Thanks!

Your help is appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

replace the drive motor.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Fuzion

Fuzion

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:11 AM

Is the motor eventually going to die out, thats why the start torque is low?

is it an easy task to replace the motor?

Thanks!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,696 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:23 AM

Yes, you need the motor.  Easy job, about three mugs on the SUDs-o-meter.  Get it here:

http://www.repaircli...asp?R=154&N=158

#5 Fuzion

Fuzion

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 04:38 PM

I ought an received the motor, I disassembled up to the point of the blower.  What is an easy way to get to the motor.  I am having a really difficult time removing the blower with the left handed thread.  Is there an easy way to hold it to remove it? 

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,696 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:39 PM

Behold the technique of the Master:

Posted Image

#7 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

Maw first post.  Don't think the king is scared of a little work.  Have similar prob if not the same.  Kenmore dryer model 110.66901691 serial MH 2219601 ... is about 6 or 7 years old.  I get same unharmonious buzzing and motor working its hump off trying to start up ... no sweat and all is copacetic for a bit but she dies without warning ... pulled all apart and vaccumed up Jurassic Dust Bunnies from Hades.  I then made sure that the vent to the outside world was clear.  Checked the thermal fuse (has continuity)  as suggested.  Did take out the drum and looked for starter capacitor but it looks like a part of the motor unit and parts breakdown does not designate it as a separate part.  Put it all back together again (for the practice ... grins) and same happens.  Havent checked the timer but will pull it apart again and check that tomorrow.  I figure I am in same water craft up same excretia canal for the cost of a new motor unit.  :yikes:

Many thanks from this lowly grasshopper for wisdom from sages. 

Will report as to whether life is breathed back into cantankerous, designed by illigitement offspring (with not enough forks in family tree) and often blasphemed dryer unit.

Elvis

Better to have sailed and crashed than not to have sailed at all.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Elvis, let us know how this goes.....;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:45 AM

Bad news and things are strange in Graceland ... I went ahead and bought new motor unit and installed same.  Slight differences but same basic unit with same terminal block etc.  Had a bit of trouble getting blower fan off as mine has a cowling near where belt pulley ... no place to put a wrench on it ... good news is the blower fan has a 1/2 inch square that will take drive off my socket set ... idiot arrows for those of us directionally challenged by "wrong way" threads.  Put all of this mess back together and plug in to embarassment ... no sound ... no noise ... no kidding.  Pull back apart check term block to make sure self actually seated it correctly ... checked the belt break switch ... rechecked thermal fuse ... nothing ... dead solder ... have 239 between terms at wall ...  momentary switch to start works as it should (momentary closed - continuity) ... same with thermal fuse ... dunno ... acording to cheat sheet that came with motor (it breaks down each conn ... not using terminal block as on old motor / dryer unit) ... all is righteous but the wire colors do not gybe ... no big issue as there is no other way to plug in term block ... pics available on request. 

Priscilla says " ... someone help this idiot, he is getting on my last nerve!"

My thanks in advance, Elvis

Attached Files

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

Hummmmm, check to make sure there is the 240 across the top of line 1 and 2 at the wall outlet and 120 volts from common to line 1 and 2.  Check door switch. Look for a loose wire somewhere?

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#11 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:22 AM

I'd re-check the belt switch wiring, that's the usual source of a no-go after motor replacement...I've had to bail a few people out on that one in the past:gimmebeer:
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#12 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

at the wall .. on a three wire sys ... ground and two hots ... or in the ^^&*###%% dryer unit?  At the wall it is as you said ... 120 betwn ground and each hot ... 240 (really 236 but what ever it takes) between the two hots.  Dunno where to check ... and not wild about working on it live but willing to roll the dice ...

Many thanks, frustrated Elvis

Attached Files

#13 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:33 AM

anything to checking except cont betwn to two wires off switch and lifting pulley until it engages?  That works and goes from open to closed as the pulley is lifted to engagement ... :(

Shoulda kept to sangin', Elvis

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:58 AM

Sounds like need to get you a volt stick and see where you are loosing the voltage in the dryer.   Sort of puzzled about the reference to different wire colors. Whirlpool has used the same color wires for each different thing since time began.  I would really rel-ook at the connections at the motor

#15 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:03 AM

another thought ... humbly submitted.  Is there a way to safely test the motor that I bought under power ... I have the bottom access panel still off and the top section unattached but laying on top ... no contact between drum and top ... rechecked door switch ... but light comes on so that should have been fine (this tested out with meter with power disconnected). 

I can' t think of anything but a bad part ... opened the box myself (parts center right down road from my house) sears guys/gals sell the parts but won't admit to knowing anything about the application of said parts.  Was getting noise mentioned above and in Fuzion's post ... dunno ... think I am going to make a couple of Irish coffee's, very strong and ruminate (or not ... depending on number / strength of irish coffees) on same until tomorrow unless sages pull figurative rabbit out of metaphysical hat.

BTW have included the fan pic that I mentioned above it it helps anyone.

The bar is open (coffee is optional ... good irish whiskey is not).  Elvis

Attached Files

• Attached File  fan2.jpg   102.16KB   53 downloads

#16 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:08 AM

Sears terminal block wire colors does not match up with colors specified on new motor assembly instruction (they quote all diff and discrete connections ... not a block) ... I just unplugged block from old motor assembly and swapped same ... plugged block into new motor unit ... then went back and noted that the instructions quoted ... can send pic of block and copy of said wiring instructions ... not sure if the quality would be good enough to post here due to the size restriction.

Elvis

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,696 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:11 AM

If the motor is new, don't bother testing it, you're just wasting time. I've never gotten a new motor that was bad outta the box.

Look elsewhere for the problem. You've already gotten a couple of excellent suggestions. Check for voltage going to the motor, as Pegi suggested. Check the belt switch, as Mad Mac suggested. If you need help making electrical measurements, read this:

http://fixitnow.com/...tion-making.htm

#18 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:13 AM

Does the new motor and old motor switch have separate wires that plug in one at a time or do they both have or one have the plugable switch where you just plug the harness right onto the motor switch.

#19 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

And your new motor number is 279789....?

#20 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:17 AM

Check on quality of motor ... rechecked both the momentary on and the door switch ... rechecked the belt switch ... all acting as they should ... dunno on what voltage is supposed to be at the terminal block but will plug in with the drum outta the way and see what I can get at the diff term conns ... many thanks and will post back in a couple of hours ... gotta run some errands for kids start school next week ....

Elvis sends

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics