Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer Start-up

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

both old and new have a terminal block (male) that accepts the block hanging off the wiring harness ...

Elvis

Better to have sailed and crashed than not to have sailed at all.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

NO! ... the replacement they gave me is a part number 8539556 ... the sears website gives this part number for the motor 279787 (3395654).  Looks like I gotta rip it back out and take back tomorrow to swap for right part.  Motor looks the same except for where winding attaches to term block ... old one has insulated lead from windings to the block ... new one just has the windings to a spade terminal attached directly to block...that shouldnt make a diff tho.

Elvis

#23 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:12 PM

Don't go rushing back...it's the same motor. Put the number (8539556) into the link at the top of the page and you'll see what I mean.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#24 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

[user=2587]Elvis[/user] wrote:

NO! ... the replacement they gave me is a part number 8539556 ... the sears website gives this part number for the motor 279787 (3395654).

8539556 is RepairClinic's internal part number for the Whirlpool part number, 3395654. Same, exact, genuine Whirlpool part.

#25 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:43 AM

darn ... thought that was too easy ... gonna try swapping the old motor back in to see if it acts like it used to with horrible buzzing and strenuous start ... it is a dead solder right now .. have checked the above suggested and all is good.  Many thanks on the part ref.  Meatheaded Elvis did not cross numbers on your site ... just trusted Sears.com (hanging head in shame). 

Elvis sends

#26 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:44 AM

OK gurus ... I am at a loss ... have swapped old motor unit back in ... put door housing (without the drum / belt so I can reach thru to activate belt switch).  Plugged into power.  Now old unit is dead soldier.  Here is what I know.  There is power to wall and to block in dryer (120 betwn comm / each hot leg, 240 betwn hots).  I have 120 to motor, 120 to heating elements.  The thermal fuse is good and shows continuity.  I have timer activation when I raise the belt switch till it clicks ... can hear the timer go on and start going.  I have a good push to start switch ... it shows open until pressed and then continuity when pressed ... there is 120 there that is passed on when sw. pressed.  Only thing I cant figure is a small circuit board to the right of the timer.  Has 5 contacts.  4 on left of board and and 1 on the right of board (when viewed from the bottom of the board) ... I pulled this and gently cleaned the contacts with an eraser.  No difference and either motor acts like it is not getting power but my multimeter says different.

I'm lost ... any ideas?  Classic symptoms of bad motor but when replaced ... nothing ... really nothing ... a veritable wasteland of emptiness.  Deep space makes more noise except for the gentle, soothing whirrr of the timer device ... NADA!  Now nothing with old motor too.  Am about to make a great funural pyre...  I'm thinking that it would make an excellent smoker ... Have some pork shoulder that would do well on a banked fire ... 250 for about 3 or 4 hours .... HELP!

Elvis

#27 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:54 AM

Suspect that plug in circuit board is the ETC board that advances the timer, would not keep the motor from running.  I would be looking real careful at the wire harness that plugs into the motor.  That might have been your original problem with the old motor??   Ohm out every wire from end to end and see which wire or contact has lost its mojo....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#28 Elvis

Elvis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:14 AM

will try that next before getting the matches ... thanx peg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics