Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Best Place to Find early 1970's Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ty2010

Ty2010

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

I was interested in stainless steel whirlpools but since my dh can repair appliances I've decided to go with a powerful 1970s dishwasher.

Any ideas on the best place to find one?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

[user=15372]Ty2010[/user] wrote:

I was interested in stainless steel whirlpools but since my dh can repair appliances I've decided to go with a powerful 1970s dishwasher.

Any ideas on the best place to find one?

What's a dh?

A 30 year old dishwasher? The drawback is noise and lots of old parts to fail. Plus the tubs and door liners are metal, bound to rust out.

Find out what the local retailers do with the old units when their installers put in new units. An old Kitchenaid would be nice.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 Lurker_paulh_*

Lurker_paulh_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:40 AM

Try a local land fill...

#4 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

While you're there, grab an old toilet that can actually flush and a nice reliable rotary dial telephone.

But seriously, I have seen old appliances on ebay and if you get in touch with local kitchen renovators/contractors they might know of a possibly low mileage unit the new homeowner just has to get rid of.

I had a 1960's era stainless tub Waste King in my house when I moved in in 1996, worked great for a year until the timer went kaput. It was actually still available then at ~$360. I went to the Sears scratch and dent outlet and got a new GE with a broken rear leg for $200 and it worked great until I tossed it in the dumpster with the rest of the kitchen.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 Ty2010

Ty2010

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

I guess fixing timers is becoming a lost art, used to sit and watch tv with a pair of pliers, emory board, needle file and a box of timers and contact boxes once every week or two. Have the toilet, as to the phone, have an older plug in touch pad from 89 that still works well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics