Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Microhood

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deano

Deano

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Microhood model#66561682101 Serial#TRM1914457 "Brand New" off of Ebay for about $175.  The unit arrived looking brand spankin new with protective plastic covers and everything.  We installed the unit and it worked perfectly for about 2 weeks until one day I noticed that the turntable was not working.  On the display it showed that the turntable had been turned off, so I turned it on, the display shows that it should be on, but nothing turning.  Terrified of electricity, I tried to test the voltage to the turntable motor which showed some minor power for about 5 seconds then nothing on a 15 second cycle.  I'm on my own here and I would like to fix this unit just so I dont have to mount another one.  A new motor is $10, a new microcomputer is $150.  Also I read about a capacitor that can shock you even if the unit is unplugged, is this true of most microwaves?  What would be an easy wat to check the motor for functionality? 

Please share the wisdom, master and help bring new life to the garbage that is Kenmore.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

This shows to be made around 12/2001 and is made by Whirlpool.  There was a service pointer put out about the turntable not turning because the support wheels were too small and the turntable was jamming on the oven.  See if this could be happening. If not, will have to wait for someone who knows Microwave ovens.  And yes, there are parts in there that will knock you across the room with the unit unplugged.  You will not want to go into the guts of this errant MW.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Deano

Deano

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have a few more questions for you.  How did you track the history of the unit?  Why is it a whirlpool and not Kenmore?  I can turn the motor with my hand but how can I hook it up to a power source to test it?  In your opinion, was I sold a defective microwave based on the service pointers?  Please let me know,  thanks.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

Sears makes nothing, everything is made for them and the Kenmore name is put on the stuff.  We can get no information on Kenmore branded products, however the 665. tells us this was made for Sears by Whirlpool. I remembered something about the turntable not turning in a servce pointer for a KitchenAid combo unit and went and read it but have no way of knowing if it pertains to your unit.  KitchenAid is a also a Whirlpool brand is Roper and Estate and others.  When I brought up your unit at Sears to see who made it,  the exploded view on the first page showed this card was made 12/2001 so this unit would have had to have been made before this could be put on the site. You might call Sears with your date of purchase and see if they will honor the warranty since it is a new unit for you, but do not know what there policy is if it is not bought from one of their stores or ordered from them. Your problem sounds more like it stems from the control panel tho than the table hanging on the unit sides.   Other than that I do not work on Microwaves so we will have to wait for one of the others that does to help you. But please do not do anything to this unit before calling Sears, since that might void any warranty they will give on this unit.  And these things can kill..:poison:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics