Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Catalyst Won't Drain/Spin on Rinse cycle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jdm

jdm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

I have a Kenmore Elite Catalyst (Model # 110.20052993)that won't spin or drain on the rinse cycle).

It works fine thru the wash cycle (spins & drains), but when it gets to the Rinse, it locks up. I hear a large Click when I start a Drain/Spin cycle at this point. After a period of time (approx. 6-24 hrs), it usally will let me drain it thru the Drain/Spin function.

I don't know if it's too much weight in the machine. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

Seems strange this washer would drain/spin for the wash and not for the rinse.  Could be a transmission locking up but would not be ok after 6 hours.  Could be a motor overheating and locking up but does not seem like it would take 6 hours to cool down.  This is a Whirlpool washer mfd. aprox 11/99 with 2 way valves, check valve, and motor time delay board, but do not believe this board would cause this.  Perhaps others might have an idea what would be locking this up and then releasing after a long period of time.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:34 AM

What I used to see a lot of on these was the recirculation valve locking up and instead of spinning, keeping on pumping water back into the tub. Usually, it jams and stays there.

Posted Image

Part 10 on this drawing is the diverter valve. What you need to do is bypass the lid switch (this doesn't have a hole that a pencil can be stuck into :?). Open the console, find the lid switch plug, disconnect it and put a piece of wire between the two outer wires, then you can run the machine with the lid open. What I believe is happening is that the water is being pumped back into the tub rather than out. Check this and report back. Cabinet removal is rather complex on these due to the various dispenser hoses, we'll guide you through it if necessary.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 jdm

jdm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:51 AM

Thank you VERY MUCH for the additional input. I was getting afraid I wasn't going to get any. The Wife is getting pretty impatient (as we have 5 kids & lot of laundry).

I will try what you've suggested when I get home from work tonight. I don't think that the water is being pumped back into the tub though. During the wash cycle, the only time it spins is when it's draining (and does drain completely). I thought I remembered it spinning during the wash cycle while it was adding water, but the Wife tells me I'm CRAZYjavascript:emoticon (':yikes:', 'images/emoticons/additional/yikes.gif').

When it moves into the Rinse cycle, it fills for about 3-5 min (again, no spinning) until the water stops filling and then does nothing (and then it's locked until a period of time). I don't think it ever completes the rinse cycle.

Thanks again for the input!!! I need all the HELP I can get javascript:emoticon(':D', 'images/emoticons/big_grin.gif').

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:04 AM

[user=1319]jdm[/user] wrote:

I thought I remembered it spinning during the wash cycle while it was adding water, but the Wife tells me I'm CRAZY

You're not....this machine does that to recirculate the water. When you say it "locks up", what exactly happens...won't it respond to the controls? Anything on the display, any numbers/letters showing, any other lights on?

Posted Image

This is how to get into the console.

#6 jdm

jdm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

- All normal lights are on (based on type of wash cycle selected).
- Numbers on the display & continues to count down.
- water fills but nothing spins until filling is complete, then it goes into the agitation mode (seems to agitate properly).
- During Spin cycle same thing, but gets to a point where it won't drain (but does drain during wash). Sorry to repeat myself.

Thanks again for taking the time!!

-Jon

#7 jdm

jdm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

OK,

So.... I got home and removed the screws securing the console. Underneath the console was a diagnositc guide. I ran all diags as described. All diags passed except for while running the Recirculation Pressure Switch Test.

From the beginning of the test the display panel read Er solid and did not oscillate between Er & t2 (the guide stated if this was the display reading, the Recirculation Pressure Switch or Tubing may be faulty).

Once I pressed REGULER again (to cycle thru the remaining test on that cycle) display changed to t2 and it seemed to perform remaining tests properly.

Could the Recirculation Pressure Switch cause these symptoms?? If so, can you tell me where it's located? Couldn't find it in the parts list I have.

-jdm

#8 jdm

jdm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

OK... OK...

I think Grasshopper is all wet:withstupid: I re-performed the diags and the Recirculation Pressure Switch seemed to operate correctly (as it toggled between t2 and Er - mostly Er). So I decided to try and run it thru a complete cycle to see if it locked-up again. And of course it did! :rocketman:

I then tried to run the diags again. What would you know... NONE of them worked (except for water fill). No agitate, No spin, No recirculation, No drain.

I read farther into the diag guide & under the Motor & Motor Control System tests, it states to run the Neutral Drain/Spin Test in diag section. If while doing so:
- A HUMMING sound is heard & motor fails to spin basket.
- Set of things to check (Starer CAP #1)
- A CLICKING sound is heard & motor fails to spin basket.
- Check centrifugal switch at motor
- If failed replace motor
- If OK replace start module

What I hear when it's in a locked state is a LARGE Click (not clicking), and then no sound until canceling the cycle, then another large click (and sounds like whatever was binding released - until starting it again which results in another LARGE Click).

Can it be the Motor or Start Module?? Is there a way I could easily test? If not could I get specific instructions??

Am I all-over the MAP & LOST, or heading in the right direction??

:huh:

-jdm

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:31 PM

Suggest you have a read at this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics