Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Neptune MCB

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Roger_*

Lurker_Roger_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

Blown Resistor. Valve is char-broiled.

What's the chance of repairing one of these?
Anyone got a good one in their truck they can read a R-value for me?
Any reliable rebuilders out there?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

This fellow says he has a fix for it.  Never tried it myself, been meaning to; got several of these crispy critters kicking around.

#3 Lurker_Roger_*

Lurker_Roger_*

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

Most honorable SARM-sam, thank you for not beheading me as I stood at the door peering in.

I'm going to try that fix mentioned at the link you provided. All I have to loose is about $30 and a small peice of my pride if I have to cut an additional $250 check for a new MCB.

However, as replacing the Door Lock Wax Motor is required, I'd like to retrofit my MAH3000AWW to the new Solenoid Door Lock mechanism.

Do you know if that's possible, either officially or otherwise?

I will report back everything I've discovered at the end of this quest.

#4 Lurker_Roger_*

Lurker_Roger_*

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:50 PM

Oh great Samurai Master, I've digested the available information and executed an integrated repair that's 100% successful and reliable. Unlike some suggested, I chose to replace Components with identically rated pieces.

If your Neptune Washer doesn't Spin in the Spin Cycle and the "Door Locked" indicator light is not illuminated, then you have a Shorted (perhaps intermittently) Door Latch Wax Motor and a blown Master Control Board (probably R11).

The Components on the MCB directly effected are R11 and Q6. Others mentioned as potentials are R43 and Q2.

First, install the new Wax Motor Kit, Maytag #12002535 ($17 retail).

Second, remove and replace the Components called out in this photo (about $2 retail).
R11 a 3.9K Ohm Carbon or Carbon Film Resistor
Q6 a Triac NTE5656
R43 a 18K Ohm Carbon or Carbon Film Resistor
Q2 a Transistor NTE288

Some of these may not have failed, but for a total parts bill of under $2, replace them all and consider it a belt-and-suspenders solution.

Lastly, if you're suspicious of an identical future failure you can cut and install an in-line Fuse on the Brown Wire (Plug 7, Pin 4), (Holder Kit and pack of 500mA Fast Blow Fuses, about $5). Consider this the belt-and-suspenders and stay home solution.

Note: this Board is not built to withstand all but the slightest heat soaking so the Solder Leads were trashed at R11 and required some creative scraping and soldering. And jumpers for good measure.

Samurai, if you email me your email I can forward a photo of the toasted MCB "with the lines and arrows and captions".

Roger

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Great report, Roger! Yes, please email me the photos you have and I'll post 'em. samurai AT fixitnow.com

#6 mopar X

mopar X

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

Neptune board resistor locations

Attached Files

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

There's an excellent site on this subject at

http://members.shaw.ca/gavb/

(Edit: which Samurai mentioned above :bathead: )
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:42 AM

Are these Neptune still smelly?
The Seven

#9 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

[user=7]The Seven[/user] wrote:

Are these Neptune still smelly?

Only if you open the door!:poison:

#10 Lurker_hason3_*

Lurker_hason3_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:50 PM

i replaced r11 and its still smoking

#11 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

Hello, my smokey friend. Back in my days as a Mujaheddin warrior, I once hired a rancid Pakistani to set fire to Lord Vladimir's tie during the invasion of the Soviet infidels. It was only by the grace of Allah (and the enforced largess of the timid and compliant Ameedican taxpayer) that we, a motley and unruly crew of Afghani patriots, would successfully repel an heavily-armed, industrialized, northern European nation.

From this great historical lesson, I infer that you must locate the source of the smoking: the motor? the machine control board? that rancid Pakistani's bowels? Let us think on these things.

Allahu Akbar!

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:47 AM

[user=0]hason3[/user] wrote:

i replaced r11 and its still smoking

So, is that all you replaced r11?

If so, then that is your problem. You did not correct the problem that originally burned out r11.

You must read all the info and the links, (words in blue), in this discussion to correctly do this repair.

If r11 is burned the orginal problem that caused this part to fail has to be replaced first, (that would be the door latch "wax motor"). Also you must replace the q6 triac that controls the wax motor door lock circuit.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics