Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

York Diamond Model P4HUA12N06401A

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vavvocato13

vavvocato13

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

I have been noticing a gas smell when i run my heater coming from the vents. In my furnace room i smell no gas odor. Is there a chance that the gas is not fully burning? If so what adjustment can i make to fix this problem? Thanks in advance

York Diamond Model P4HUA12N06401A

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 hvacdrd

hvacdrd

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

First make sure you have a functioning Carbon Monoxide detector in the home. I  recommend the Night Hawk by Kidde, one that plugs in with battery backup.

If in fact it is an odor from the combustion process things cannot be good. If you cannot narrow down the source of the odor (such as sewer gas, dead mouse, etc.) contact a furnace dealer for a thorough safety inspection. There is no adjustment you can make to fix this problem. 

Not likely that a gas leak would present itself in the return air duct unless gas piping runs thru the duct. If there was a leak at the control valve, gas leaking by the valve, or piping the odor would tend to stay in that area. Natural gas is lighter than air and the odor tends to go up as well.

Do a quick check using your gas meter to perform a shadow test. With all appliances off, turn off any pilots. At the gas meter you will typically see 6 dials. The top four are usually the read, the other two are proving dials. Which ever one has the smallest measurement (ie 1/2 cu. ft.) is the one you want to watch. Mark the dial position and walk away for 10 minutes. No dial movement = no gas leak up to any & all appliance control valves. Your gas provider will also respond to gas odors if you want. The shadow test is the easiest method to determine if in fact there is a leak.

Dead mice &  sewer gases are more likely to be the source of your odor. Any odor will tend to be drawn in the area of the return air due to air flow patterns.

#3 vavvocato13

vavvocato13

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

I had someone come out and look at it. he said everything is functioning correctly. And of course the smell was very limited while he was here.

When i came home the other night i smelt the smell again. My wife had the furnace on a lot. I think there might be something in the ducts that when it heats up it stinks because when i just use the ventalation with no heat it smells fine. Im not sure how to go about cleaning the ducts. Let me know if you have anymore ideas thanks.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:13 AM

Some critter could have gotten into one of the ducts, might have someone check these because if something died in one of them seems like would have an opening in one of them that is letting the hot air excape into the attic??  or wherever your vents run.  Service Masters come to mind or other companies that clean duct work.  I had a dead squrrel in mine here a few years ago at the business....could NOT run the heat till it was removed, all of the vent ducts were replaced at that time also due to all of the holes.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics