Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana dryer shut down

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Square Circle

Square Circle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

I bought an Amana Dryer (LEA60AW) from someone who had never used it.  I have no manuals.  It overheats and shuts off after about 25 minutes of running.  I have to leave it cool to restart it.  Should I replace the plug-in sensors or can I test them to see if one of them really is the problem?  Thanks.

J.L. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

The whole dryer overheats or the motor overheats in 20 minutes??? 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Square Circle

Square Circle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

The dryer overheats and everything shuts off.  I open and close the door, wait up to 10 minutes while it cools, and restart it.  It shuts off faster if the clothes are nearly dry.  I can set the timer on 25 minutes or less and it makes it to the tumble (cool down) cycle (it will complete the cycle, but the clothes won't be dry).

#4 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

Soumds like a motor.

#5 Square Circle

Square Circle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

I don't think its the motor.  The clothes are really hot.  And if I put it on the "no heat" setting, it will run until I shut it off or the timer reaches the end of the cycle.  It overheats on the "automatic" settings as well.

#6 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:48 PM

What is your vent like? It isn't stopped up is it?

#7 Square Circle

Square Circle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:17 AM

Its not the vent.  I just bought this and haven't even connected it to the duct work.  I am guessing the cycling thermostat.  If I put my multitester on it, what should it read?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:12 AM

It is the cycling thermostat.  Go ahead and replace it along with the hi-limit thermostat and the thermal fuse.  Order the parts through the Easy Appliance Parts Lookup Form below.

#9 Square Circle

Square Circle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:30 AM

Well, I replaced said parts and it worked! - for a couple of loads.  Now it is back to its old tricks - get hot, shut off.  I'll keep experimenting with the various cycles, but am rather frustrated.  Did I spend $50 for nothing?

Could the problem be a loose wire (I didn't see any, but that's only from looking in from the removed bottom front panel).  When I first hooked it up, it seemed to work for the first couple of loads.  Then, once it overheated, it would do it every time.  Any thoughts?

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

Make sure your heating element is not grounded, if it is the dryer would overheat.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#11 bkanter

bkanter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

I also have the Amana LEA60AW ELectric Dryer and it requires 2 complete 70 minute cycles on high (Regular) in order to dry a full load of towels. Even a good size load of regular clothes require a second cycle of 40 minutes (after the first time dry  cycle of 70 minutes).

I had a repair person come out and he cleaned the machine (I had done that about a year ago also) and he said that the machine ir running fine and it does get hot (I observed that too).

So the machine gets hot, spins, and the vent and the rest is clean. So how come the clothes do not dry?

Any help?

Thanks,

Bill

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

Amana LEA60AW ELectric Dryer ...usually this is caused by a blocked vent from the dryer to the outside, try it with the dryer pulled out and the vent disconnected to see if it will dry with the vent off.  If it does check the vent in the house..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics