Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer venting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cbabonis

cbabonis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

My washer and dryer are located in a 1st floor bathroom.  The only exterior wall has an enclosed porch on the other side with a concrete foundation.  The family who lived here before me (my in-laws) had always vented their electric dryer indoors.  They just put a pair of old panty hose over the end of the vent to catch the lint.  My father-in-law said it was great, it helped to add moisture to the air in the winter.  Needless to say, in the hot sticky new england summers this is totally unacceptable.  I have mildew/mold growing on my bathroom ceiling and the paint is peeling off.  Is it OK to run a vent through the floor into the cellar (dirt/stone walls) and out a window?  I read your section on dryer venting but still haven't figured this out.  The distance from the hole in the floor to the window would be around 30 feet.  Is there a particular dryer model out there that I can buy which would make this safer?  I have little $$ because I live in a 200 year old money pit that my beloved in-laws never maintained, so I need to do this myself.  Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

That sure would be better than venting inside of the house.  As long as there are not bends, twists and turns, just a pretty clear shot should be good.  There are electric dryer vent boosting systems that you can add to help pull the air from the dryer and push it on out to the outside, and may want to add one or two of these to help with the air flow.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 cbabonis

cbabonis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

I noticed on this web site that there is a nice chart on vent lengths that will be very helpful.  However, it only lists brands and not models.  Do models vary so much that I should be concerned that this chart wouldn't always be a safe reference when choosing a dryer?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

The worst enemy of any dryer is a bad venting system.  I am not sure it would matter which brand or model, a bad vent will cause problems and possible fires.  However if you are wanting a dryer that will be dependable and easy to repair in the future select a Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Estate/Roper with the lint filter on the top. The simpler the better, fancier is just more to malfunction and costs more to repair.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 cbabonis

cbabonis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for your advice.  Now can you convince my husband that we should buy a new dryer?  LOL

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

Well, do not know what brand or the age of yours.....If it is working ok, would it need replacing??

#7 zauber1

zauber1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:25 PM

You can also get a UL approved venting bucket or can from Home Depot ot Lowe's and vent it into that. 

OR you could get a condensing dryer (no vent required) but that will heat up the room by 15% more.  That's a negative in the summer but a positive in the winter.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

Venting inside is not a good idea from a health perspective.  Dryer exhaust is full of mites, human skin, and hundreds of allergens.  Vent it to the outside where it belongs. 

#9 cbabonis

cbabonis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:42 AM

My problem is that the dryer is working fine but the set (washer and dryer) are 13 years old.  Amana.  The washer has some issues as well.  I also thought that the brand/model of dryer was important here because I will be required to have an extra long vent.  I think I read on this website that some dryers have more powerful motors/blowers than others, hence the variations in vent lengths on the chart.  According to the chart, Amana is not the best brand for my problem.

BTW, I tried the indoor vent that uses a water reservoir.  That sucks.  Cleaning it out is gross and I don't see that it works all that well.  It also takes up more space between the dryer and wall.  We don't have much space.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:16 AM

No, all dryers exhaust at about the same pressure so switching models is not the answer.  You'll probably need to install a dryer vent booster fan.

#11 cbabonis

cbabonis

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:55 AM

Looks like a good idea.  You've saved my husband from having to buy the appliances for at least several more months.  He will be happy.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics