Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Need Help

Need Help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:29 PM

I tried to follow all the current Q & A on this problem but I am not sure I still know what to do.

We have a Kenmore Elite

Model # 50592000
Serial # SK2833845
Type # C25SSA00

1. My first big problem is this thing just stopped making ice. The First thing I have done is remove the two (2) side modules which I think are a photo eye to tell it when the ice bin is full. By removing this I was hoping to find something burned to tell me OK it is this board and that is all I need. When removing the module on the RIGHT Side the larger of the two circuit boards the ONLY thing I found was on the back side of the circuit board there is a the long silver looking tube (assume the signal or the eye) was a little warm on the back side. Is this normal?

I them put this module back and then removed the one on the LEFT side but found nothing unusual on that board.

I then looked for the fill tube and I assume it is on the RIGHT side of the ice maker (a short tube) and I was able to squeeze it and bend it so I thought this is a good sign and it was not blocked. Am I assuming this is correct? If I could squeeze this short tube and bend it (flex it) then the tube is not blocked?

2. My next problem with this ice maker and this only started happening after about two years after we purchased this unit brand NEW. What started happening is we are getting these very thin light brown/green looking things in our ice. After the ice cube melted this thing I am trying to describe is thin like paper and varies in size and shape. It is not in all ice cubes. Any idea on what this is? I was thinking maybe the trays where the water sits in to freeze was flaking off but I never dug in to investigate.

3. My third problem is the actual holding bin for the harvested ice seems to build up ice in the gear area. Also it seems like I can never get a good clean flush connection when putting back this unit. Any Help in this area?

*** One last clue that might help determine what my problem is - Just before the ice maker stopped working probably for a month or just a little longer there were long icicles hanging from the ice maker unit itself. This never happened before. Maybe there is a correlation to my problem.

If anyone could guide me on the best way to either repair or replace this ice unit it would be much appreciated. I am trying to not call the repairman. It's a guy thing? I think my wife is rolling her eyes and thinking she will never have ice from this fridge again.

Andy

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hummm, assume there is a 106. before the model number meaning this is a Whirlpool frig.  Assume this has the ice bin in the door.  The stuff in the ice is the ice mold surface coming off, you will need to replace the ice maker.  The bin will have to sit all of the way on the door for the ice maker to work and seems the door lining prevents this after awhile.  The proper fix is to replace the door.  However Whirlpool has a service pointer to carefully shave some of the holding part on the door on the right  with a sharp object so the bin will fit again.  Razor blade or real sharp knife.  These thru tubes freeze up also and there is a repair kit out there for a heater for this.  The ice cycles hanging from the ice maker could be the mold has a split and is leaking from the ice maker, which you are going to have to replace anyway for the green stuff in your ice.  The fill valve could also be not shutting off all of the way putting too much water into the ice maker.  Sounds like you need to start with an ice maker and a fill valve, and shaving off part of the bin holder so the bin will seat properly.  I will try to find that pointer and post it here. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Need Help

Need Help

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:46 PM

Thank you so much for your help.

I did see the ice maker at the following link is this what I need?

http://www.repaircli...?RccPartID=1857

I am pretty handy is this something I could tell my wife it will only take 30 minutes to one hour to fix and not still be there 3 to 4 hours later?

Is the link above the best place to get this part?

Thanks so much for your fast reply.

Andy

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

If your ice maker is the 8 cube style, yes, but I do  not know. Some make 5 cubes and some make 8 cubes.  Look at your ice maker to see.  This is because the smaller ref.s do not have room for the larger ice maker so they have a shorter one for this application.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics