Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Why do Dryers cost so much?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 srockman

srockman

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

I have repaired my own dryer many times, and several washing machines, as well. It seems that the washers are much more complicated than the dryers, but the purchase price of them is fairly close. In other words, the dryer costs about 90% as much as the washer, but has 30% of the complexity.

Other than liability issues, I can't think of a reason why this is so.

Any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

I'm positive they make better profit margins on the dryers. They just charge what they think they can get. I don't think they want the dryer prices to fall too far behind the washer price. Maybe it makes it easier to sell matched sets.

Nick
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

Your first mistake is to infer manufacturing cost determines selling price. They are not linked like you think and seldom are. Market determines selling price and profitability determines selection and availability. Simple econ 101

#4 azasadny

azasadny

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

I think most customers buy both washer and dryer at the same time, so making a bigger profit on the dryer makes sense (to the manufacturer/retailer), I guess...

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

nowdays the Dryer "list" is about the same price as the Washer.

maybe so they can "discount" the Dryer "if purchased at the same time".

Years ago, the Dryer didn't "list" as high and they stil discounted it "if purchased at the same time".

And then there's the Pedestals ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Jimi

Jimi

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

Prices are determed by supply and demand. If they sell it for to much nobody buys it. They find the correct price eventually
Please do not drink & drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics