Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool takeover of Maytag, Amana, Jenn AIr, Magic chef

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 longtimer

longtimer

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

Now that we are going through the "merger" takeover, does anyone out there think we will be better off? I know Maytag had it's problems but changing those problems into Whirlpool problems has not made them better.
Anyone remember the Kitchenaid acquisition back in the 80's that was smooth (not) compared to this.
Lots of questions not many answers yet.....
2 dishwasher platforms, do they keep Jackson TN going or is it on the block?
Range platforms what happens to them?
SXS refrig platforms are they going to scap the Amana platform? (The Maytag platform was hardly any good so who cares about it) 
Maytag/Amana washer platforms gone!
Whirlpool not telling you the fate of certain platforms (confirming that they will stay) you can rest assured that that they are gone and do not want to tell us  their fate.
Even though Maytag had slipped  quite a bit it was still nice to have a legit competitor in the Market Place

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

i think it`s a good thing , when sears gathers all the major repair contracts that will open the flood gates for the local servicers collect busness , if the locals hold there ground when sears crashes there will be more work then we can handle , you need to remember that sears is about money and when all this contract work begins to eat at the bottom line they will dump it just like they did with ,allstate,discover,prodigy,homelife,NTB,and others ,keep in mind sears is now kmart does bankruptcy ring a bell  
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

the Jackson dishwasher plant will be history, the Searcy, Arkansas  (Amana design) laundry plant is closed,  the Herrin, Illinois  (Atlantis, Performa, Admiral, Magic Chef, Norge) laundry plant is closed.  The Newton, Iowa (Dependable Care) laundry plant will remain open for coin laundry models and for one model of the Dependable Care washer and dryer for household use to be produced as so many dealers want them to stay in production.

I would say we will be in better shape because eventually we will have to carry less parts on our vans.
Scott Wolf

#4 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:51 AM

Once all the usa made machines are gone you wont find parts to put on your vans for a lot of those far east makes. As Gramps used to say, becareful what you wish for.

#5 WayneSB

WayneSB

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

I'm just glad that higher didn't buy Maytag.

I do wish Whirlpool would make new washers that are actually Maytag and not just the same old Whirlpool design with a new faceplate, but I'm sure anything is better than the Maytags of recent years.

Hell... I'm not even a repair guy and I can replace agitator dogs and motor couplings until the cows come home.

#6 edwardh1

edwardh1

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:16 AM

Any changes in the Jenn air electric cooktops- where are those made now?

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Wayne,

Why do you want Whirlpool to redesign the Whirlpool direct drive top loader washer? It is the easiest washer to repair, with very few moving parts with as little tools as possible.

It is also the most reliable machine on the market today. It doesn't have triple lip seal and tub bearing problems , it's the easiest machine to replace the gearcase on, and has the least number of "off balance" problems of any top load washer on the market today.
Scott Wolf

#8 K-man

K-man

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

Wayne   I think the Maytag of recent  years is why they arre not in business now. the washers are the biggest P O S  built. I regret that i have to work on them a whirpool trans is 25 min job..a maytag is 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.  Im glad they are gone..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics