Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 417.40042990 Front loading washer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Philo

Philo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:42 AM

Openned it up and the counter balances on the left hand side were on the floor!  The plastic ledge that retains them had broken off. 

I was hoping someone could tell me:

How much it would cost me to have a repair man come and fix it?

If I decided to replace the parts myself, what exactly is involved in terms of parts needed and time to do the repair?

Is it a bad idea to continue to run the machine without 1/2 of the couterbalance?  What could happen?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:23 AM

This is a job that should only be two mugs on the SUDs-o-meter, but Noooooo!  This is a Friggidaire-built washer so, in typical Friggidaire style, they designed it so you have to go around your elbow to get to your a$$hole.  It's about four mugs based solely on the manual contorions required to do this job and the fact that you'll be doing half of it purely by feel. 

As for cost, there is no standard fee, each servicer sets his own rates.  I can only talk about my own fee structure, which you can read about here:

http://fixitnow.com/...-of-samurai.htm

Do not run the washer without the counter-balance as you are likely to do major damage to the washer or something near it when it gets up to high speed spin.

#3 DB130

DB130

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:31 AM

If you perform the repair yourself, the front outer tub is about $90.  I'd also replace the tub seal while you have the two outer tub halves apart, about $12.  I'd also look into replacing the hose that goes from the tub to the drain pump because it's only about $15 or so.

Part numbers are available from Electrolux FTP site:

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Webster/95334264.pdf

Because I recently took apart my Frigidaire front-loader(which is virtually the same as yours), if I had to do this repair, I could probably do it in 2-3 hours(huge learning curve).  If I was doing it for the first time, I'd say 3-4 hours.

This will get you started:

http://www.applianceaid.com/417_Frigidaire_washer.html

#4 Philo

Philo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

Thank you for your thoughtful replys.  Perhaps I may prevail upon you to entertain another somewhat related question?

After further research, I have come up with the hypothesis that the broken outer tub and counterbalance was a result of worn bearings.  This stems from experiencing the very loud thumping during spin cycle that preceeded the horrendously loud thumping that occured -i assume- once the tub and counter balance broke.

The former thumping is oft reported by owners of this particular model and seems to be universally diagnosed as worn bearings.

Soooo....

I believe, if I am going to repair this, rather than hire someone to repair it or just scrap it all together and buy a newer better front loader, I should also replace the inner tub and bearing.

Would you agree with this assessment?

Should this washer be condemed?

#5 DB130

DB130

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:47 AM

If you suspect that your bearings are gone, I'd recommend this solution that "kdog" mentioned here a couple of weeks ago which I forgot to mention:

http://applianceguru...forum2/834.html

"...now comes as an entire assembly-front and rear tub shells already assembled(bolted together with 17 bolts) and the spin basket inside and rear pulley installed- just swap it out,front boot,weights,motor and airdome are the only pieces to exchange."

The part number is 134453200, around $200.  I'd still buy a new hose that runs from the tub to the drain pump.  Since you are now swapping out the whole tub assembly, I bet you could definitely do it between the 2-3 hour timeframe.  You may even be able to salvage the old stainless tub and sell it to someone(as the price of a new stainless tub is $200 itself).  ;)

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:49 AM

part number for entire tub ass'y  134453200  this includes both inner and outer tubs,with the spin basket and drive pulley already assembled and ready to install.  i do these things regularly,and i usually replace the front boot with the newer style "drain back" boot,the plastic sleeves on either end of the large tub supporting springs,and the shock absorbers if they show any sign of damage. if your machine kicked off the counterweight,it probably did some pretty severe off-balance action,so also check the bottom of the dispenser housing as they usually smash a hole in the bottom of the housing when this occurs.this is NOT an easy job-by the time i lug everything in and out of a house,and totally disassemble/reassemble- adjustments and testing-i'm looking at 3 hrs. if all goes well ............................................    :(
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:53 AM

as an added bonus,many people decide to use the s/s basket as a firepit- they place them in the ground shaft down and partially bury the bottom; fill them with wood and torch them off  does make a unique backyard fire pit.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics