Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Leaking suction line from evaporator. Frigidaire Fridge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 montmurf

montmurf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:23 AM

My technician says my leak is internal and is in the suction line from the evaporator. The line is not accessible from the back of the fridge nor can I get to it from inside the compartment. Said technician wants to cut holes in the back (ouside) surface to extract the line. I'm not sure about this. The guy wasen't too inspiring as to his competence for this scope of job.

My fridge is a "Frigidaire Gallery Series, 18 cubic foot, top freezer, fan cooled condenser" Model GLRT 184 RA. Has anybody done this job before or had this suction line replaced on their fridge?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

if the suction line is foamed into the cabinet,it is not accessible- how would you find a leak there??  sounds like you should seek a second opinion- has it indeed leaked,or has the cap tube become restricted,symtoms are very similar in both instances- how exactly did this person check for leak-did he/she access the sealed system??
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:15 AM

What you want to be absolutely sure about here is whether or not you really have a sealed system problem.  If you do, and the refrigerator is NOT under warranty, then the precise location of the leak is academic because you're better off going shopping for a new one. 

#4 montmurf

montmurf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

I'm assuming that he concluded that it's an internal leak from the fact that there was no oil traces to be found anywhere on the external components. He guaged the the compressor and found only residual pressure. He didn't tell me how much, but told me that there was basically very little coolant left in the system.

He recharged the refrigerant and told me the fridge will run well for about 2 weeks before it dies a 2nd slow death. Is this a common problem? Maybe the fridge model is known to be a lemon? The fridge is only 3 years old but not warrentied because we're the second owners and the original purchaser didn't send his product registration card nor did he give us any paperwork or store receipt. It's a beautiful fridge (when it's working).

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

Seems like it would be under warranty from the manufacture date then.  Ask if it is under warranty by the serial number.  If it is not under warranty or they will not honor it because you are the second owner, you need to go shopping for a new Whrilpool frig.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Dr. Freeze

Dr. Freeze

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

If you have a leak and it's proven that it is the heatexchanger of which i doubt,there is a heatexchanger kit (external) available.

if it is an evaporator leak , the evaporator is replaceable and relatively cheap!

don't guess if you have to, isolate high and low side..

good luck!!

Dr. Freeze

#7 Dr. Freeze

Dr. Freeze

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:22 PM

Peggi: I did notice in one of your post you were done with the flu ,hope all now is ok .

you also mention you are getting tired of helping people, well i have been around 36 yrs in the service business and can tell you two things, one - once you have been bitten you will always help, two---- i have been watching your comments on this site and one other site.without people such as yourself and the Samurai as well as many others no problems would be solved ,it would then just become a large appliance garbage dump!!!

Please keep up the good advice !!!

We will all thank you in the end!:D

Dr. Freeze

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:39 PM

Thank you Dr. Freeze for the kind words.  I like helping people and will continue to do so.  However I get tired of wasting my time with people who are too dense to listen and follow our advise. I will just ignore those posts and go on to someone else who appreciates our efforts., to keep them all from the appliance garbage dump from Hell.  :P  Your friend, Pegi

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 montmurf

montmurf

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

Well I sure as hell appreciate these posts. They're very insightful as to how not to get "screwed".

I got the estimate today... new evaporator $166, new suction line $41, labor 11/2 hours including recharging coolant $140. Is this all legit? Keep in mind these are in Canadian funds. They're going to drill a small hole,  1/2" approx and run a new suction line externally down the backside, leaving the original one in place. The evaporator can be changed through the freezer compartment.   The advice of the repair guys is to do the fix since it's the first occurance of a problem and the fridge is very young. For debate purposes, the guarantee is a non starter because of the missing paperwork. It will be pay now and try to claim after the fact directly with "Frigidaire Inc"

Any opinions??? Thanks

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:59 PM

Buy a new frig. with a brand new warranty and be sure it is s Whirlpool Brand.   Simpler is better.  The Frigidaire's have known problems as well as Maytags and G.E.'s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics