Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Customer and Inventory Database

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BearsFan4Eva

BearsFan4Eva

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:49 AM

I'm a small service only company and I'd like to find some basic software for strictly customer and inventory databases.  Ive looked over the internet several times and found nothing like what I'm looking for.  Swiftlink was close but still more than what I was looking for.

I'd like it to be basic and very easy to use.  Ive tried quickbooks and it was way to hard for my computer knowledge.  I'm usually on the road when I receive my calls so I'd like to find my customer history on my laptop and also have a inventory control that lets me know stock levels, part location, and reorder levels.  I dont need the financial part as the paper ledgers work fine for us. 

I figured the best way to find one would be to ask others in the business.  Anyone know of an inexpensive program that meets this criteria?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:26 PM

Swiftlink is horrible. I am in the same spot as you. I am anxious to hear any replies as well.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 BearsFan4Eva

BearsFan4Eva

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

Glad to know that. I'm assuming you tried it out.  I almost bought it but thought it was geared more to counter type sales. Plus i dont like the fact that I wouldn't own it and would be paying them for eternity for using it.  Im also going to look into Microsoft Access. 

#4 jrmoase

jrmoase

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

I have supported SwiftLink installations - avoid them if possible.  In fact, many industry-specific point-of-sale applications are too custom and often just crap.  Many are written in Visual Basic or MS Access.

If you only need basic inventory control, there is a product called "WASP Inventory Control" which is very straighforward - designed to track and tag parts inventories.

There is another application that our local appliance parts store uses, and if you'd like me to check on that, I'll be happy to.

If you need a more complete POS solution, I've heard good things regarding Microsoft's Point-of-Sale Small Business software, but not used it first-hand.  I do know that they offer a free trial copy (which is good as it is about 2X the cost of QuickBooks).

#5 Lurker_paulh_*

Lurker_paulh_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

Been using Logiserve for about 15 years. Still using the DOS system and love it although now they only offer a Windows system. For my one man operation it's perfect.

#6 BearsFan4Eva

BearsFan4Eva

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for your replys.  Im still looking.

Recently Ive looked at Microsoft Office pro with Access, Quickbooks Financial, Quickbooks Customer manager, and a million other not so perfect fits from the internet.  i did find one that I kind of liked but it came with a $2300 investment.  I feel for that I could have a computer consultant or programmer make one tailored just for me.  Anyone know what that might cost.  For all I know It could be $500-10,000 dollars.  checked around my small town and we dont have any programmers.  Will have to go check in the big city one county over. The search continues.

#7 BearsFan4Eva

BearsFan4Eva

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

jrmoase...  That would be great if you could find out.  I thought I'd get more of a response.  I wanted to know what guys like me with just 1 or 2 techs use to track cutomer info and inventory.  Maybe most are still doing it all like me.

wasp seems like just inventory software.  i dont think that would work for me.  i would like the customer database and inv database to part of the same software.

paulh...  Couldnt find anything on logiserve.  Post a link if possible.

Thanks again!

#8 Lurker_paulh_*

Lurker_paulh_*

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

www.logiserv.com- makes more sense to me to go with software meant for the appliance industry. Don't know the cost now but when I bought it many years ago it was less than $500.00 and I own it and got free updates. Now I pay a yearly maintenance fee for any tech help I might need.

#9 BearsFan4Eva

BearsFan4Eva

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:58 AM

[user=13316]paulh[/user] wrote:

http://www.logiserv.com- makes more sense to me to go with software meant for the appliance industry. Don't know the cost now but when I bought it many years ago it was less than $500.00 and I own it and got free updates. Now I pay a yearly maintenance fee for any tech help I might need.

Thanks paulh!  That looks perfect.  I called this morning and they are closed for the weekend so i couldnt get a price.  If its around 500 then it will be well worth it.

Is the maint fee your paying the $300 one?  How often do you use it?  Just wondering if thats something I would have to plan on in the investment.

I knew there had to be some software out there made for our trade.

#10 Lurker_paulh_*

Lurker_paulh_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

I haven't used it in a long time but it's an insurance policy plus any updates are free. It pretty much does everything I need.

#11 BearsFan4Eva

BearsFan4Eva

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:47 AM

Well I bought logiserve and have been using it for a few weeks now.  Its a perfect fit for me and my data needs.  It was $1300.00 but I still think its worth it.

Thanks again paulh!

#12 rgracie

rgracie

Samanera

• Master Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:42 AM

I'm not sure if this is allowed, so flog me unmercifully if needed, but you should try ServiceXp Pro. A very affordable business management program written specifically for the Appliance, and HVAC service industry...

I started writing this program back in 2000 when I simply could not find an affordable but power business management system.

You can try it for free, so what do you have to loose....?

WBR
Robert
www.servicexp.com

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:49 AM

Robert, will you post a link to your software so we can all check it out please???  Thanks, Pegi...well Dah, never mind, see it at the bottom of your post....:P
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics