Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replaced oven ignitor and it did not work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tlhouser

Tlhouser

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

My Magic Chef oven quit working. The glow plug gets hot and the burner lights but the flame is very low. I replaced the ignitor and it does the same thing with the new one. What else can I check or do I need to call a repair guy.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

throw a current clamp on that there ignitor wire andsee what she's a-pullin'
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:36 AM

The burner fires up in time but the flame is low?  Low compared to what?  Would help if I could see a picture.  If the flame really is too low, I'd expect to see other combustion problems:  sooting, yellow flame, etc.  Any of that?

#4 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

Also, whenn you are saying the flame is too low do you mean it never reaches the temp that you set it to, or just the look of the flame itself appears not to be high enough?
If the flame is igniting it is not the ignitor. If the height of the flame is your only issue BUT the temps are reached than that is not really an issure UNLESS as the Samuri said there are those other problems. Please elaborate a bit for us. Thanks
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#5 Tlhouser

Tlhouser

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:38 AM

I will take some pics tonight when I get home from work.

The flame is blue and looks OK but is only about 1/8 inch high. The oven worked fine for a few years and I have made no changes. The flames produce very little heat and would never get to temperature. I thought the ignitor was not allowing the gas to flow properly so I tried replacing it.

I will post the pics tonight.

Thanks

#6 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:40 AM

On top of the flame is a metal sheet "flame spreader". Does the blue flame touch that? If not there is a simple adjustment just to increase the size of the flame. let me know.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS

#7 Tlhouser

Tlhouser

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

The flames do not reach the spreader. The flames are very small. The funny part is for the first 4 years I had it the flames were normal and it worked fine. Since it quit I assumed something was broken.

To give an idea of the flame size before I take pics it is about the size of a stovetop burner flame on simmer.

#8 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

[user=1408]Tlhouser[/user] wrote:

The flames do not reach the spreader. The flames are very small. The funny part is for the first 4 years I had it the flames were normal and it worked fine. Since it quit I assumed something was broken.

Nothing broken. Maybe clogged.
You will need an adjustable wrench. I will look to see if the Samuri has any pics of what I am talking about but here goes.
On the gas valve itself there is a brass looking bolt for a wrench with the brass part extending out another one inch in a cylinder shape. In the end of the is a VERY TINY hole. This is called an orfice. The actuall end of the burnner slips over that. But you do not have to remove the burner to do this adjustment. If you turn this piece on way you are restrctiong the amount of gas to come through. If you turn it the other way it allows a little bit more gas to come through. Just like tightening up or backing off any bolt. You want to have the oven off. Turn the orfice 1/2 turn like you would be loosening a bolt. Turn the oven on and check the size of the flame. Only do 1/2 turn at a time and check. To high of a flame will cause all sorts of problems. Just get it to spread on 1/2 of the flame spreader.
Please let me know how it goes. Remember to unplugg before the adjustments and then test. Dop this over and over till you get it just right. But do not do this while it is plugged in as there are wires on that valce and if the metal wrench slips a millimeter and touches the wires you will destroy you gas valve and that's expesive.
Take your time, don't rush it, and unplug it each time then turn it back on to test.

CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS

#9 Tlhouser

Tlhouser

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

That worked!! Thanks

The funny part is how did it work OK before then quit when it only needed adjusting?

#10 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:19 PM

Very Cool
It probably got a bit clogged up with that chicken you guys made last week ;)
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

You hear about "clean burning gas" however there is all sorts of stuff that clog gas orifices and jets.  We have to clean all sort of junk out of the gas valves in Dearborn heaters all of the time since they get clogged with white goop and rusty looking grainy stuff. Probably got a chunk of junk that clogged it and was blocking the gas to the burner.   Good job, GLC....  :cool:

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#12 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Pegi - I'm beginning to feel a bit better.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics