Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore/Whirlpool Washer LOUD squeal on agitate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mildavw

mildavw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hello Samurai,

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty 70 model 110.72974100 washer which indicates it's made by Whirlpool, if I recall correctly. Belt drive.

A few months ago the pump froze up. After looking over your website and a few others I decided to make the repair myself. I tipped the washer onto its face, removed the pump, ordered a new one, picked it up a few days later, installed it, tipped the washer back, and the first thing I saw was a quarter cup of lightweight oil appear on the floor apparently from the inside of the front face of the washer. Hoping this was just a small amount of the oil needed to function properly, I turned the machine on. The new pump worked great and the washer ran fine--until a few weeks ago.

It's no so much a squeal but more like a very loud continuous trumpet blast. It happens only sometimes (but with increasing frequency) and it seems to happen when the machine is ready to agitate. It spins fine. The new pump pumps fine. It does not agitate while trumpeting.

When it does this, I push the control knob in to stop the machine. And if I turn it around and start it again and some other point in the cycle, sometimes it will finish the load just fine. Other times it continues the trumpet blast.

My wife claims the agitate cycle (when it works) is much louder that it used to be. I haven't noticed a difference though.

So did I drain the oil out of something like the transmission and now it's loudly grinding itself to bits? That's my guess, but you're the expert!

[align=center]
Master Samurai
We're out of clean underwear
Can you diagnose?
[/align]

Thanks,
Dave

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,842 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:37 AM

Hey, congrats on the pump replacement!  It's normal for a little bit of oil to leak out when that puppy is on it's face for a while.  If it was just a little puddle, you're probably fine.  A quarter cup of leaked transmission oil won't hurt anything. 

Try to locate the source of the noise.  Listen/watch it from the back with the service panel off.   Could even be something unrelated:  agitator, timer, ???

[align=center]

Master Samurai
We're out of clean underwear
Can you diagnose?

[/align]
Nice haiku!

#3 mildavw

mildavw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

Update:After running back there with a flashlight and laying down behind the trumpeting machine several times,I never could locate the sound. It was loud and seemingly coming from everywhere. We suffered through the noise for a few more weeks and then one day we noticed that we hadn't heard it in a while. It's been months now. Fixed? If it comes back, I'll let you know.Dave 

#4 mildavw

mildavw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

Hey There! Guess what? Our trumpeting washer is back! The squeal/trumpet is still intermittant, but it's happening more often now.

What about bearings? What bearings are there in this thing that only get used on agitate? My post above says it doesn't agitate while trumpeting but what I'm witnessing now is different. It does agitate, but just squeals the whole time. I still can "fix" it sometimes by just stopping and starting the machine. Sometimes the squeal goes away by itself before I get down to the basement to fix it.

Any ideas?

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:14 AM

I would be checking to see if something is in the water pump or the pump might have bad bearings...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 mildavw

mildavw

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:13 AM

Is there a reason the pump would scream only on the agitate cycle?

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:24 AM

Could if something was in the pump rubbing against the impellers.  Other wise you might be looking at a bad tranny....run the washer with the pump removed from the motor and hoses attached to see if the noise is still there.  If so would suspect tranny.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics