Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

how to install my new adaptive defrost control board

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#41 Lurker_Dlecocq_*

Lurker_Dlecocq_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

I read with great interest all the replies and have some questions of my own.

What does it mean if the reading between L1 and Def Htr reads 0 (not 120V AC)?

I tested for the resistance after running the fridge for 24 h since I thawed the whole thing, and got +/- 240K ohms, meaning that the thermostat is open.

I replace the relay on the ADC and tried to trigger the defrost cycle by jumping L1 and Test. The relay does a buzzing sound, almost like a timer, but the defrost element does not get hot.

Could you help?

BTW what is a terministor?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

[user=0]Dlecocq[/user] wrote:

What does it mean if the reading between L1 and Def Htr reads 0 (not 120V AC)?

Assuming your meter is set to read AC voltage, it means that there is the same electrical potential at L1 and Def Htr == usually means the board is in defrost mode, trying to energize the heating elements.

I replace the relay on the ADC and tried to trigger the defrost cycle by jumping L1 and Test. The relay does a buzzing sound, almost like a timer, but the defrost element does not get hot.

Not sure about that buzzing bidness-- got too much o' that going on my head! Speculation: it's the wrong relay for the application. Sounds like a well-known phenomenon called "relay bounce" where the improperly energized coil in the relay causes the relay arm to bounce on the contact, rather than stay put, resulting in a poor connection.

BTW what is a terministor?

A solid state device commonly used to measure temperature i refrigerators, ovens, dryers, and dishwashers. And extended application is to make a solid state start relay in compressors.

#43 Lurker_Dlecocq_*

Lurker_Dlecocq_*

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply. My fridge is a Jennair, side x side, JCD2289ATW and is building frost over time. Following the provided instructions, I did the tests.

When thawed, the resistance was 20 ohms (I assumed the thermostat is closed as explained); when frozen the resistance was 240k ohms with variations as I recall it (meaning open). I did additional tests on this resistance thing as follows:

Test 1A

Fridge compartment, fridge plugged in the electrical outlet, freezer control to off position but with lots of frost on the coil.

Meter on 2000 k ohm,

Common (black) on blue wire (at the connector level) and red on yellow terminal of ADC

I read Minus 240k ohm with variations

Test 1B

Common (black) on yellow terminal of ADC and red on blue wire (at the connector)

I read 550 or so.

Test 1C

Common (black) on yellow wire and red on blue wire near the Coil in the freezer

Common (black) on blue wire and red on yellow wire near the Coil in the freezer

Same results as Test 1A/1B

Test 1D

Unplugged the defrost assembly and tested the assembly only

I read 243k ohm.

The reading I did between L1 and Def Htr was on the AC scale of the meter set at 750V. I tested again, as follows.

Test 2A

Fridge plugged in the electrical outlet, freezer control to off position.

I read 120v.

Test 2B

Freezer control and refrigerator control to mid position.

L1 and test briefly jumped to trigger defrost (as in Jackpai’s explanation)

I read 0v.

Test 2C

Freezer control and refrigerator control to mid position.

Not in defrost cycle.

I read 0v.

Your explanation seems to apply to my tests but I’m puzzled by Jackpai’s explanation because different results are obtained. Being a novice at electronics, I may not have completely understood Jackpai’s test!

Can the fridge be plugged-in, in defrost cycle and have the freezer control in the off position, all at the same time and read 120v?

I checked the new relay and found out it is the twin brother of the original (JW1FSN-DC24V).

I’m at a loss here! Do you have more tests to recommend? What do you think is the culprit? Is it the terministor? And where is this thing located?

Is the evaporator fan always on?

Many thanks in advance!:huh:

#44 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:18 PM

I have a Maytag MSD2756AEW and had the same defrost problem.

I drew a schematic of the ADC and found the cause and fix for the "buzzing relay"

It's a bad electrolytic capacitor, C2,  22uF @50v

Try jumpering in a good one across it. (there is a protective coating over the entire board)

Watch the polarity and also be careful, the minus (-) side of the cap is connected to L1 120v HOT side of the power line.

I drew the schematic with MS Paint, and will soon draw it  with a schematic program and upload it here.  (a few messages below)

also, neither the compressor nor the defrost heater will work when the temp control is turned down (but the relay will still energize)  try it at max cooling setting.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#45 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:46 AM

Way to go, Reg! Excellent information-- that earned you a promotion. :cheers:

#46 Lurker_Doug in WI_*

Lurker_Doug in WI_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:09 PM

I have a freezer coil that was completely plugged with frost.  I bought a new defrost coil, same problem 7 days later.

It is a Maytag MSD2756AEW sxs, 4 years old.

I have a voltmeter, but not sure which contacts to use to test for the resistence.  I will take a closer look, there mat be only 2 wires.  I have the Frig section top plate off, that was a pain to remove, one of the sides seemed glued together.

You guys are motivating me to fix it myself, thanks.  Any tips would be great!

Doug

#47 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:14 PM

Maytag, probably a bad ADC, these have known problems, located up in the food section in the housing your controls are located...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#48 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

Ref. # 13 in this breakdown, part number will be 61005988.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#49 Lurker_Doug in WI_*

Lurker_Doug in WI_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

I shorted L1 and test and got nothing, no pop (no snap, crackle or pop).

Doug

#50 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:21 PM

Click here to order this part......

#51 Lurker_Doug in WI_*

Lurker_Doug in WI_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

REG For President!  I went to Radio Shack, got that Capacitor (it was a 35v max, but works).  I shorted the two contacts, the heater came right on!  Made a plastic melting smell, but it appears to be working.

Thanks for the help.

Doug

www.rcscoringpro.com

#52 Lurker_dlecocq_*

Lurker_dlecocq_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

I have a Maytag MSD2756AEW and had the same defrost problem.

I drew a schematic of the ADC and found the cause and fix for the "buzzing relay"

It's a bad electrolytic capacitor, C2,  22uF@50v

Try jumpering in a good one across it. (there is a protective coating over the entire board)

Watch the polarity and also be careful, the minus (-) side of the cap is connected to L1 120v HOT side of the power line.

I drew the schematic with MS Paint, and will soon draw it  with a schematic program and upload it here.

also, neither the compressor nor the defrost heater will work when the temp control is turned down (but the relay will still energize)  try it at max cooling setting.

Brilliant! I got some electrolytic capacitors (5 for CA$1) and replace the one on C2 and I put back the ADC in the fridge. Move the freezer control and after a few seconds, forced defrost. I heard the click, then the fridge stopped and started to melt the frost on the coil...

Thank you so much... Now I just need to monitor to see if all is working fine. So far so good! The whole thing at a very reasonable cost!

#53 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:33 AM

here ya go !

1996 Maytag ADC Defrost Controller Schematic  ( MS Paint > pdf )

rev. 10/08/05

Attached Files

#54 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,617 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:03 AM

Very cool, Reg! Did you reverse engineer this yourself to create the schematic?

#55 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:00 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Very cool, Reg! Did you reverse engineer this yourself to create the schematic?

yes !

#56 gadgetsmith

gadgetsmith

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:36 PM

wow !  this site is great... 

Here's my story...

I had this exact problem (Maytag SxS 2556) about 2 months ago... called in a Maytag repairman to the tune of about $200.  He "knew" my problem before even arriving... asked me to start defrosting my freezer section before he showed up.  Saw that the evaporator coils were almost a block of ice and blocking the inlet from the fridge section (hence no flow, warm fridge, cold freezer).  He replaced the defrost thermostat for $20 and the whole thing worked fine... for about a month... same problem... this time I knew what to do.... thawed out the evaporator coils, and upon inspection I saw that the thermostat was not connected to the evaporator line like it was supposed to be. (being the "genius" that I am I though mearly clipping this back on would solve my problems)... well, a month more later and presto, same problem..:X    ok... I really don't like spending $200 to have something "fixed" and not have the problem solved... this time I was taking on the task (with no knowledge of refridgerators at all)... found some scehmatics on the Maytag website and eliminated the theromostat as the failure point... one google of "Maytag Adaptive Defrost Control", and presto, i'm here!  Great stuff !

Thanks to all here, and a special thank you to Reg, nothing like going from a $200 service call to replacing a $50 part, to fixing the $50 part with a $1.19 capacitor !

Due to lack of decent electronics shops in the area, i've used a 22uF 35V cap from Radio Shack at the C2 position.  Can anyone tell me if this can lead to long term problems.  I'm thinking of getting the proper cap (22uF 50V) and putting that in (sorry Reg, tatalums are about $15/each !! ouch !!), but will this 35V one from RS work in the meanwhile, or maybe it will be fine as it is ??

Thanks again everyone that posted, and what a great site Samurai !  (ps. nice place otterville is.)

cheers, gs

#57 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:22 PM

The 35v cap should be OK, it only charges to about 35v with 4ma, and while the relay is on, it's only at 24v.

If the cap can't handle it, it won't ruin the cap, in this case.

The non-tantalums may last another few years.

If you can find a tantalum  22uF @ 35v, that may last forever.

I'll check some sources.

#58 jmizzi

jmizzi

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:56 AM

Boy I'm glad I found this thread. I too have a Maytag MZD2766. I was initially blaming the kids for leaving the door ajar because it was intermittent at first. Then I noticed after a week or so I would have to manually defrost the coils because the ice/frost was preventing airfow into the refrig compartment.

I did the little test of shorting L1 and Test on the ADC and sure thing I got a buzzing sound. After a trip to the parts store and $60 later I installed the new ADC and preformed the L1 - Test short. The compressor turned off and the the heating coil came on. Bingo. Bad ADC. I saved $100 bucks, learned about the defrost cycle, and apologized to the kids.

Thanks a million

Oh if anyone wants a bad ADC let me know and I'll send it to you.

John

#59 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:17 PM

[user=4095]jmizzi[/user] wrote:

Boy I'm glad I found this thread. I too have a Maytag MZD2766. I was initially blaming the kids for leaving the door ajar because it was intermittent at first. Then I noticed after a week or so I would have to manually defrost the coils because the ice/frost was preventing airfow into the refrig compartment.

I did the little test of shorting L1 and Test on the ADC and sure thing I got a buzzing sound. After a trip to the parts store and $60 later I installed the new ADC and preformed the L1 - Test short. The compressor turned off and the the heating coil came on. Bingo. Bad ADC. I saved $100 bucks, learned about the defrost cycle, and apologized to the kids.

Thanks a million

Oh if anyone wants a bad ADC let me know and I'll send it to you.

John

I could use it if nobody else responds...

#60 James athey

James athey

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:14 AM

hoe do i get to the adaptive control board on a model msd2756aew? may tag refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics