Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

how to install my new adaptive defrost control board

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#81 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

Schematics and tech sheets are always useful. Domo! :dude:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#82 paintballgoth

paintballgoth

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

yea....same problem here. Im going to replace what needs to be replaced.... just wondering.. should i replace the c2 and the relay? they both sound defective/not beefy enough.

#83 CAG8OR

CAG8OR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:38 AM

First post here:

Great topic and excellent information.  I have a Maytag MSD2758DR (2001).  I have same problem as described many times previously.  Just lost $500.00 in steaks and king crab while on vacation.  Going to try replacing C2 and Relay as I live close to a Fry's here in San Jose.  I will post my results later.

Many thanks to Reg for schematic.

#84 CAG8OR

CAG8OR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

I managed to purchase all the parts to upgrade my ADC circuit board per the posted instructions and all appears well.  However, now I appear to have a new problem.  The freezer is very cold and the beer cooler is luke warm.  I have read many posts about frost blocking the air flow passage to the beer cooler, but this does not seem to be my problem.  I feel plenty of cold air coming from the freezer into the beer cooler at the upper top left corner.  My beer cooler has some fancy meat and produce coolers at the bottom with their own digital thermostats.  These are not cooling down at all.  It has been about six hours now and they are still around 70 degrees.  For comparison a 16 ounce bottle of water I threw in the freezer four hours ago is nearly completely frozen.  Is there a seperate air flow passage for these drawers?  I notice there are two seperate fans for each drawer and they are not running.

:X

I have a side by side Maytag MSD2758DR (2001). 

#85 old fashioned

old fashioned

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

I have a Maytag Mod. MSD2756DEW. It is not defrosting and makes the buzzing noise behind the temperature control levers. Before I try to replace the defrost control panel or any of the components, does anyone know if I can replace the electronic control panel with a manual, clock type, defrost control? It seems like that would solve the problem for good if it is possible to do that.

#86 Vincent

Vincent

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:36 PM

:jedi:What a great site! Googled myself here, read five pages of this thread, went to Radio Shack, paid $1.29 for a capacitor, did the first bit of soldering I've done since I was a teenager working on an electric guitar, and fixed a Maytag that my wife was planning on replacing. If I could do this, anyone can. Who would think?! Absolutely beautiful. Thanks to all of you! Cool, cool site.

P.S. Not related to appliances but somewhat related to samurai- Go is an incredible game. If you like chess, check out these sites:

http://www.usgo.org

http://kgs.kiseido.com/

#87 CAG8OR

CAG8OR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:08 PM

Well, I found out why my beer cooler was not cooling.  Actually, both the beer cooler and the meat locker thawed out after some time.  Thanks to this site, I was able to locate the problem pretty quickly.  My compressor start relay/overload combo had burnt to a crisp.  I am supposed to receive it tomorrow and hopefully will back on line.  I also ran across a post for a technical service bullentin for the beer cooler being warm while the freezer was cold.  I am going to perform this routine as well, to see if it helps anything.  Hard to believe they actually instruct their service repair men to tape up the grill like the front end of a NASCAR race car instead of sending out the later updated part.  Sounds like there should have been a recall! :X

#88 jmccros

jmccros

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:16 AM

I am being told by Jenn-air I can use part DEFROST KIT,ENHANCED ADAPTIVE
Maytag Part Number: 12002104 in my jcd2389geb series 11.  Is this an improved part? Will it work?

#89 CAG8OR

CAG8OR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

Well it has been almost two weeks now and all is well with both sides of my Maytag.  Good thing too, because it was over a 100 today and the beer is still very cold!  Thanks to all that posted the fixes here.  By the way, the tape on the grill really helped to cool things off in the beer cooler side.          :cheers:

#90 Mr. Ho

Mr. Ho

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

I definitely have the same problem with my Maytag MSD2957AEW, and am thankful for all the good advice on this thread.  I visually inspected the ADC board and found that the C2 was a bit bulged at one end.  Based on what I've heard, seems like that's the culprit.  Am ready to pony up the $55 or so to replace, but like everyone else, want to save a buck where I can.  So...

How involved is the process to solder a new C2 onto my existing ADC board?  (I don't have the tools, etc, but am up for a challenge)

Should I take the old C2 off first?

Thanks...

#91 Mr. Ho

Mr. Ho

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:05 PM

Decided not to replace the C2 cap, but rather the whole ADC board on my Maytag MSD2957AEW.  After doing this, I followed advice on this thread about jumping L1 to Test.  When I did this, compressor & freezer motors went off, ADC buzzed, but no action on the heater.  Tried every which way with the jumpering...motors on/off...touching on contacts, and holding connection between for a few minutes.  Nothing.  Figured it must be the heating element and/or defrost terminator, so bought both as a new unit.

After installing the new heater/DTT, did the same jumping trick to try to initiate a defrost cycle.  First, did this when the freezer temp lever turned to OFF.  This produced a click then another click after about a second, no defrost.  I tried this again with the lever set to midway, so that the compressor & freezer fan motors were running.  This produced one click, and the motors going off.  The interesting thing here is that in this second case, I could not turn the units back on by moving the lever from OFF, I had to reset the Referig switch on my main (house) circuit breaker first.   I tried this procedure both with removing the screwdriver from the contacts after hearing the click, and keeping it connected for some minutes afterward.

So, for all I know the system works just fine now, but I can't initiate the defrost and "see it for myself".  Is there any way to be sure here?   I do have an Ohm/Volt meter, but it has the "probe" ends and not the clamp type.  Any measurements I can easily take here?

Help!   :?

#92 CAG8OR

CAG8OR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

Mr. Ho:

I am no expert, but was able to fix my problem with the information posted.  I am quite sure you wasted your money on the heater element.  The unit never went into defrost cycle after jumping L1 to test, because your freezer was not cold enough to trip your thermostat switch, which is connected to one of the incoming lines to your evaporator.  That is the coil with fins on it in the back of the freezer.  The thermostatic switch  is just that, it is a normally open switch above a certain temperature and closes when under that temperature.  It is inline with one of the power leads to the heater.  Therefore, even if the ADC board is sending power to the heater, unless this switch is closed the heater will not heat up.  I am not sure what the setpoint is, but I am sure it is near freezing.  I suppose you could test by submersing the switch in ice water and then jump L1 to test.  If anyone dissagrees with my assessment, please feel free to correct me.  Good Luck!

#93 CAG8OR

CAG8OR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:37 PM

Mr. Ho:

If you are having a hard time getting the compressor to start running after you have everything connected back up properly, please read my posts carefully on this page and see if your compressor overload relay is bad.  If your fridge is similar in age to mine, I would bet it is on its way out.  Simply pull it straight off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles it is bad.  Mine was visibly burnt as well.  Hope this helps.

#94 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

You are exactly correct....it is called a defrost termination thermostat or a bi-metal  or thermal limiter, re-sets usually around 14 degrees or so...good post...;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#95 Mr. Ho

Mr. Ho

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:02 PM

CAG8OR and Pegi,

Thanks for the advice about icing down the DTT.  (I had thought that the jumpering somehow "bypassed" that link).  After icing and jumpering, the defrost heater started sizzling!

If anyone wants to pay the shipping on a good heater/DTT and/or bad ADC board, they're yours.

#96 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

I'll pay the shipping for the bad ADC board if you still have it...

let me know or email me...

thanks

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#97 douaic

douaic

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

I successfully replaced my ADC last year with the info from this great site.  However, I now have a iceberg growing on the floor of the freezer.  The defrost cycle appears to be working fine, but the drain that leads to the pan below the motor, keeps freezing up.  The water from the defrost drips down to the bottom of the freezer and builds the iceberg.  Anyone seen this?

#98 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:09 PM

All of the time, remove the ice and find the clog in the drain and clear it...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics