Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer won't start/fill

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hessel

Hessel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:04 AM

My whirlpool washer suddenly won't start.

1. There is water pressure up to the machine, but it won't fill

2. The agitator works when you turn to later in the cycle

3. The centrifuge works in the centrifuge cycle

It worked one day, not the next day. It's 8 years old and worked without problems.

I am thinking of the water inlet solenoids, but why would both 'go' at the same time?

I can't get to the solenoids...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:07 PM

You might have a defective fill level switch, this give power to the water valve when the washer is empty and stops the fill valve when the washer is full, and gives power to the timer and starts the motor.  Sounds like your fill level switch is telling your washer that it is full of water and letting it agitate when empty. Or there is something in the fill level bubble on the side of the tub not letting the pressure release in the hose to the fill level switch.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Hessel

Hessel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Fill level switch eh? Can you tell me how I can access that switch? I have not been able to open the back of the machine.

It's a heavy duty super capaciyt Plus Whirlpool of about 8-9 years old.

I can release the instrument panel, but after that I'm stuck.

Thanks again,

Hessel

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

Usually you remove the 2 philips screws and pull it forward just a twinge and bring the front up and lift the whole console up and flip it over the back of the washer after you unplug the washer.  However without the model number I cannot be sure of what style of back/console your washer has. 

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Hessel

Hessel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:24 PM

OK

I got the whole house off. In the meantime, as I was reading on this site, would you consider this machine all dead, which would indicate the lid switch is broken

But because the agitator is still working when the lid is closed and the dial manually set past the 18,12, 9 and 6 I guess that is not the cause.....

I found the water level switch. How can I test whether it works?

Thanks for bearing with me?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

You will need an ohm meter.  Violet is the power in.  With no water in the washer you should get a reading between V and either pink or tan, cannot remember which right off the top of my head.  Then when you blow into the switch where the hose attaches you would get a reading from V to either P or T.  It would reverse.  I will try to find which is right and post them or someone may post them first. It should click when you blow into the switch and when you release the pressure.

#7 Hessel

Hessel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

I read 3000 ohm between violet and pink, and 0 between V and Beige.

How hard should you blow for the click? I don't get one. I do remember that when it worked it used to click.

How do I take the switch out? I can't get to the nut and washer....

I got the switch out. It did click and change polarity. Still no working machine.....

Hope you have more suggestions.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics