Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

oldboarder

whirlpool duet with an odor

5 posts in this topic

i have a 2 year old whirlpool duet front load washer model #ghw9100lw1that has developed a nasty musty moldy odor. whirlpool suggested i run bleach through the wash cycle instead of soap and that would fix it, it didn't. i'm looking for enlightenment.

maytag has had a similar problem with mold behind the rubber door seal gasket, has anyone had this problem with whirlpool front loaders and what ido i do about it.

thanks,

oldboader

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Haven't heard of this with the Duets.  Do you close the door when the washer is not in use? 

Not sure, there are several things to try, however have read on a tech forum to disolve some Cascade D/W det. in hot water and run the washer thru a cycle with this, and they said this removed the smell.  You will HAVE to leave the door open when the washer is not in use and will need to use Clorox liquid with each white load to keep this from developing.

i have started leaving the door open for the last few weeks and will continue to. how much cascade should i use and do i just add it through the soap dispenser or put a mixture of cascade and hot water in the drum and then run it through its cycle

thanks

It is put in the soap dispenser, so it can wash thru the system and be sure to use pure hot water for this cleaning.  But not using bleach in any front loading washer causes a lot of these problems