Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore 110.92582800---AGAIN

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

Okay, I've replaced my faulty timer which I was sure was bad. Now my problem is it won't do anything but fill with water.

After that the motor just hums. I tested the motor by taking it off the machine and running it. It ran fine. The shaft was spinning without a problem.

I tried spinning the shaft on the transmission and I can spin it all day counterclockwise but it will only spin a lttle clockwise until it stops.

The clutch doesn't spin when I mounted the motor and put it on spin cycle. The motor just hums.

What is going on here?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:38 PM

Looks like a bad transmission since it will not turn freely both ways...

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Pegi.

Is there a way to test the transmission or have I already done everything?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

Should turn freely both ways, it is locking up.....not sure if it can be fixed or not, we just replace them, others may know of repairing these however...

#5 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Do I have to take the drive block off to get the transmission off?

How do I know if clutch and brake assembly are still good?

I want to check everything if I'm going to take this all apart.

Thanks

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

To replace just the tranny have to remove the agitator and the pump/motor then the three bolts that hold the tranny...to remove the clutch/spin tube then have to remove the drive block...

#7 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

I have the transmission out now and have some interesting findings.

I now can spin the shaft both clockwise and counterclockwise on the ranny freely. By watching the shaft of the tranny I now see the motor spins clockwise to agitate and counterclockwise to spin cycle. The cluth only engages in the spin cycle and doen't spin during the agitate.

Does this sound like my transmission is still good?

Now I can see what I think is the brake assembly?

http://tinyurl.com/2hsru8

The white plastic piece seems sloppy (part 15 driver brake cam) is this normal? Could my brakes be binding up the motor and transmission?

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

I am not sure, someone else in here should know...let us wait for others to reply..

#9 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

Here are some pictures of what I am looking at in hopes of someone guiding me to fixing this un-washing machine.

It seems the brake shoes are engaged and I can't budge them for the life of me.

The clutch was clean coming out so no transmission leak.

Misc. parts from brake and clutch. The brake cam has two nubs which are broken off that fit into the metal piece holes. I can't believe that this was the problem, but I will be getting a new one.

Someone has to be able to see something. I will post more pix if necessary.

Attached Files

#10 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Second pix of clutch

Attached Files

#11 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

Misc. parts from brake and clutch

Attached Files

#12 Lurker__*

Lurker__*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

The break release cam moves the break shoe rollers far enough to release the break shoes from the tub housing. These rollers can wear out. If the shoes are dragging=new break shoe time.

#13 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

Reassemble the yellow plastic part and the rest of the cam. Then try turning it using the yellow plastic part. It should relase the brakes and allow the basket to turn.

This is a long shot, but have you checked inside the basket for a screw or something else that would keep it from turning? I've seen nails, screws, even an underwire from a bra stop them.

#14 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have faulty electrical somewhere!!

I took the motor and tranny to a repair shop to have it tested and guess what--they work fine. I saw it with my own eyes.

I bring it home and hooked it up to my harness and the stupid thing doesn't work. There has to be something messed up with the wiring. I have a brand new timer already so I know that's good.

I need help figuring out what to test. I tested all the wires in the motor harness for continuity in the timer harness and they all checked out. By continuity I mean I used the rk1 scale on my ohm meter.

What's next? I have taken a picture of my wiring schematic. Someone please help!!

Attached Files

#15 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Second pix

Attached Files

#16 rubbersoul66

rubbersoul66

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

Ahhhh. The sweet sound of a running washing machine. I have finally fixed it. It turns out after all my observations, I didn't have my timer screwed in far enough to ground the switch on the metal plate. Wow it's amazing how something so simple can be overlooked, but it's fixed and I'm going to bed.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out hopefully I can return the favor someday.:party:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics