Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE dishwasher wont fill with water

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ahuebel

ahuebel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

I have a basic GE dishwasher model GSD3230z02ww. It recently stopped putting water in the tub. I did some general troubleshooting and thought it might be the water inlet valve so I bought a new one and tried it but still had the same problem so apparently that wasnt it.

I checked to see if I was getting voltage to the solenoid with a multimeter but got no reading. I shorted (actually disconnected and bypassed) the float switch to see if that was the problem and still got no voltage reading when I turned the dishwasher on. Does anyone have any further troubleshooting tips?

TIA

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:53 PM

The timer feed power to the float switch which goves power to the fill valve.  If the valve is new and the float switch, do not see what else is left except the timer or a bad wire tol the float switch'
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

Take all the screws off the door and door latch and have a look at the Heat Dry / Air Dry switch.   Quite often this switch will fry and stop it from filling.  You can even try this from the front.  Do those two buttons I mentioned "feel" the same as the rest?  Sometimes if you mash those two buttons back and forth while the machine is running and supposed to be filling, it will start filling.  May the force be with you.

#4 ahuebel

ahuebel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:26 AM

Good call! They buttons do feel different than the rest. I dont have the water inlet valve connected to the rubber hose and I was pressing the buttons back and forth and water actually came out for a second but then it stopped. I think that is the problem. I will try to take the door latch today. Do you know if I can replace just that switch or do I have to replace the whole "switch kit"?

#5 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:51 AM

Good call Jedi - Man I learn something new everyday too.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

Yes, thanks Jedi, I will remember this also. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 ahuebel

ahuebel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:42 PM

I have to say a big thank you to Jedi. That was indeed the problem. I rewired it so that "Heat Dry" is permanently on and I will look into ordering the switch that went out. I will have to call GE to find out what part it actually is because I cant tell clearly from the diagram. Everything is working great now though. Unfortunately I cant return the water inlet valve because I already opened and installed it.

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:54 PM

Hey Pegi.  1st one I ran into I ordered a timer too.  Had my meter out and everything.  Traced no power to the fill valve back to the timer.   While I was doing this, I notice the toasty looking switch.  I ordered a timer and a switch.  
     When I went back with both parts I installed the cheaper switch first and tried it.  It started filling just fine, it passed my complete checkout so I returned the timer unopened.  I see it often enough now to stock the switches on the truck.
      I've been known to cut the orange and black wires going to the switch and wire nut them together to get the machine running while a switch was on order.  This locks it in heat dry mode.
      I never really studied the wiring diagram to see why it does this.  Don't really have to at this point. 

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Here's your part.

#10 ahuebel

ahuebel

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

Crap, I have to buy the whole thing? I was hoping I could just the the single switch that went bad. Thanks again.

By the way, instead of actually cutting the wires to nut them together I just pulled out one of the prongs of the bad switch and put the terminater for the orange wire on one end and the blue wire on the other, taped them together and was good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics