Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

MAYTAG LSE7804ACE

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mom vs machine

mom vs machine

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hi machine masters - I'm not seeking to fix my own machine, but I need forearming against a possible overcharge. My old Maytag stacked washer/dryer will fill and spin and drain (spin and drain in the same direction), but will not agitate. Similar to posting July 18 06 "Maytag A208 Won't Agitate - help!"
But mine spins fast and in the same direction.
Single mom in NYC - hard to get a repairman to come here - one comes and looks for two seconds and says "It's the timer." I said no no, it progresses fine.
Then he goes back and says "It's the pulley". He fiddles with the pulley a bit and suddenly it agitates. As soon as he leaves, agitation ceases. He comes back 10 days later and says he doesn't know if he has to replace the pulley and the transmission together or if he can just put in a pulley by itself. I called Maytag and they said yes,
you can order a pulley by itself. Repair shop calls back and says they must order both and price will be upwards of $300. Whaddaya think? I'm not entirely unwilling to poke around in there and try to replace the part myself, nor am I unwilling to get the transmission replaced. But I CAN'T AFFORD TO THROW MONEY AROUND. Any thoughts? Especially "Trying to help", who helped very well with July posting.
THANK YOU THANK YOU - Mom

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mom vs machine

mom vs machine

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

I didn't mean to dis nor imply dishonesty - I like machines and I love those who understand them -a true genius repairman used to come here,
before I fell off the warranty. His company no longer works in Manhattan - no one wants to come to Manhattan - they fear tickets on the trucks. The VERY young repair man I referred to in the posting is a stranger to whom I've already paid $163 with no result. We could help his career here!
Guess I'm panicking looking at the kids' laundry piles and so wishing for advice.

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:11 AM

First of all this is not my mom or some other relative writing in!!  I officially have a groupie!!! :rocker: I am one fan short of having my very own official Posse! :smokin:

If you are spinning fine, we know your lid switch, bearings and motor are good. We will need a better description of what the unit is doing when it is supposed to be agitating.  When the unit gets to agitate, do you hear a loud hum and then it gets quite and the timer just keeps advancing, does the unit stay very quite and the timer advance and you never hear the motor, or does it sound like the motor is washing fine and it just isn't?  I have never had a transmission pulley fail on the LAT style Maytag's.  If it is your transmission seizing in agitate, some of these had a 10 year parts warranty on the trans (if that was the case you should have burnt your belts off, don't think thats it) .  All you would have to pay is labor.  It could be the timer, advancing is not all it does, let us know which scenario matches best and we can go from there.  

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

How this works is, the washer in agitate, is running one direction, the pulley is in the "down" position and against the stop. When it goes into spin, the pulley is rotated in the opposite direction and moves up till it contacts the brake releasing it. Then the basket is free to spin.

What is happening here is this, the pulley is not returning to the "down position. The threads are gummy, the pulley is worn in the center and jamming, or the bearing is stuck and needs replaced or re-greased. I usually try cleaning everything up and re-greasing the bearing, shaft, and pulley. If the pulley is too loose or the bearing worn out replace them. It also has to be adjusted properly.

It could be the brake too, but they can be oiled and work just fine.

Pulley no. 22002429 about $25.00, Bearing no. 200835 about $13.00

#5 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

Before getting the parts on order, let us know what the unit is doing when it is not agitating.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 mom vs machine

mom vs machine

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

I just love you guys!

Everything is normal except no agitating - it fills, then it spins its way through the wash cycle (can't let it do that because centrifugal force sends the water flying) with a normal spinning sound (without the sound of agitation), then it stops, drains, fills, etc. One difference is when regular spin cycle is over the tub takes longer to stop spinning, as if there were no brake.

"That guy" seems to have nailed it, as the young repairman was muttering something similar about the pulley not going to its position, and that's probably why it worked again briefly - he pulled it by hand.

Now how do I convince a repairman of all this? Why are you in Georgia and Nebraska - wanna see the big apple? Know any Master Appliantologists here?
I could attempt this myself with a picture or a diagram. Should I just purchase a new pulley and new bearing and ask the guy to come back and install it?

I don't really need a new transmission, right?

#7 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

Tranny will not be the problem if it is spinning in agitate as you describe now(or described prior but I sure didn't interpret it that way!).  Could be the brake hanging up.  In my experience the pulley should be fine because it is grabbing enough to drive the input shaft.  I have never seen one gum up enough to cause what TG stated but it appears he has.  If it is the brake hanging up, I don't think you should undertake it, you need to purchase a special tool for this one time repair.   But the service company prior should come back and try to lube it as per the notes I put in on the other post your referenced in your first post.  This usually takes care of them.  If it is the pulley as TG suggested, that is not a hard repair, and the bearing is right on top of the pulley and will come down with it.  The only tricky part (and it is not hard or does it require great force) is setting the drive lug gap (which could be set incorrectly now as well), and we can describe that procedure or fax a picture.  I spent 30 years in NY, maybe TG wants to go!!           

#8 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

The reason I know about the pulley sticking is because I live in an area where the older people keep their washers forever. I've worked on many older Maytags that were 25 to 30 years old. If the grease gets enough dirt and age on it, it starts to act like glue. Also the pulley is aluminum and does wear down so it can become jamed against the brake.

I have no desire to travel to the big city. I was born in a small town and have never really went anywhere (except on the internet). Here everybody knows who you are and what you do. Its a small town.

You just need a more experienced repairman that knows his older Maytags. I can't believe its already cost you $163. If I charged that much here, I'd be out of work in week.

#9 mom vs machine

mom vs machine

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

Just bought you guys a cold one.

had a guilty thought - is this my fault? I often push in the timer knob at the end of the wash cycle and turn it back to the beginning to wash the clothes a second time and even a third time. Should I not do this? Do I need to let each cycle play out normally without interruption from beginning to end because the pulley is climbing/lowering?

HAVE I BROUGHT THIS UPON MYSELF?

I may be a mom, "Trying to help", but I guarantee I do not look like your mom.

#10 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:37 AM

This unit is a horse, and there is nothing you could of done to cause this.  Either the brake is sticking, or somehow the transmission pulley TG is describing is getting stuck.  All the techs here reading what you have paid so far with nothing being done all know of a company in there area that would of done similar dishonor.  Do you live in Manhattan?  What is the zip? I still know plenty of servicers that work Manhattan, the problem is you've already paid out to the other company which is going to make a reasonable repair to another servicer, coupled with the bad experience pretty expensive.  If the company you used is an authorized servicer, they can call Maytag Tech assist who will tell them it is not the trans if you spinning while agitating.  Usually anyone who prefers genesee cream ale is from upstate, not Manhattan.  Many a good time had upstate with a few Genesee's (OK, a lot more then a few).:gulp:  They seem to taste better Hunter Mountian and north for some reason.:?   

#11 mom vs machine

mom vs machine

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

Gosh, would I appreciate a referral! An honest serviceperson is something to be treasured. I'm downtown - Village - 10014. I know I threw money to the other place, but I have to think of the future. I can't afford a new washer/dryer anytime soon. Besides, I like fixing old things and recycling. We Americans are so wasteful. The first guy DID call Maytag while he was here, which is how he got the pulley idea in the first place. It's the transmission con plus complete unresponsiveness that is sending me fleeing. Neither of their techs will talk to me on the phone - only the poor hapless scheduler.

I'm not really a beer drinker, but I fondly remember Jenny Creams from my crazier field trip days to the mountains of upstate NY - you got that right. Can't even find it down here. Cheap and delightful.

#12 jimmyray

jimmyray

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:21 AM

I also live in Manhattan and would very much appreciate the name of a good service guy for a dryer problem. Did you ever get any names?

#13 Stilltrying3

Stilltrying3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Greetings,

I have a 25 year old SE1000 Maytag Washer + Dryer Stack.

Several parts have been replaced. Current Problem:

** Saturday: The little lady packed the washer with heavy stuff like two sets of flannel sheets, a small quilt type blanket, and other stuff making a very full load

** Washer will not agitate

** It will spin and drain

** With the front off and in the agitate cycle, I can see the pulley move a bit, but no more

** The belts will squeal after a minute or so

** The pulley is relatively easy to turn in the spin "direction"

** But much stiffer in the agitate direction

** I do not think the belts have been replaced in ten or more years

Saturday: I played with it for a an hour or so - back and forth to this website looking for fixit hints

and was able to get a couple of loads done with no issues

Monday: the little lady loaded it up and it will not agitate

Thanks in advance for your help.

Still Trying III

Experience is the Best Teacher

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Please post new topic include full model number

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics