Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Hotpoint inner tub removal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fredvp

fredvp

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

Hi
My tub seal has gone bad on my over-10 year old Hotpoint
washer. Its a model # wlw4700B.
I have got the top off and the agitator out. Now
I'm stuck.
To get out the inner tub it looks like some sort
of assembly has to come off on the bootom of the shaft
inside the inner tub. Its a plastic thing that
fits over the shaft on the bottom. Probably covers some
screws on the bottom. Its round and seems to have some
sort of spring inside.
How to get this plastic gizmo off is the mystery. Any
ideas anyone?
Fred

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

Hummm, thatis just a plastic hub cover, just push on the tab and the thing pulls right off.  Usually the tab is broken and the thing falls off on its own.  If you break it getting another will be cheap, should be less than $5.00
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

Dude it's toast. 

Maybe one day I'll sit down and finish this.  Even incomplete, it has the answers in which you seek.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:21 AM

Jedi, Don't write this one off yet, it's one of the old sytle good G.E.'s

That plastic agitator bushing that covers the 3 tub bolts is probably all gunked up with old fabric softner crude, just move that little tab you see one way or the other while wiggling and lifting up on cover. It should come out with a little work and if it won't just break it out and replace with a new one.

When you do get it off, make sure to use a good 12-point socket on those tub bolts or you will end up rounding the heads off.

You will most likely find one of three problems that might be causing your leak.

1) If the leak is real bad, dumps water out as fast as it goes in, then the tub boot has probably just pulled loose out of place and will just need to be reinstalled.
2) If small leak, something has put a hole in the rubber tub boot.
3) You have small rust holes in the bottom of your tub, this is not uncommon at all on this old of G.E. machine, they have a tendency to accumulate sediment and pins and junk around the tub boot and then the tub will rust through.

Let us know what you find and then we can help you further.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:21 AM

D'oh!

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

;)

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 fredvp

fredvp

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:43 PM

Looks like the larger clamp had worked
loose so there was no seal. I tightened
up the clamp and everything seemed fine
except for a small drip. I ordered a new
seal and will clean up the mating surfaces
before putting in the new one. Hopefully
that should fix the drip.

Fred

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:11 PM

Good, the ridges on the tub boot were probably flattened and the new boot will have good ridges. Cleaning the transmission top will help stop the leak.

#9 fredvp

fredvp

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

Hi all

I received the new boot and installed it. In tightening up the lower clamp I had a problem. It seems as I would get the
lower clamp real tight the boot wood ride up and off its seat. This could have been the cause of the original failure, as when they put the washer together maybe they couln't tighten up the lower clamp enough so over time the boot slid off its seat. I applied some silicone sealer to the gasket, installed it, let it dry, and then tightened it up. This time the seal stayed put. No leaks yet and back in business!

Fred

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

:party:

#11 G-Man52

G-Man52

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:55 AM

This is an old, cold thread.  I have the same problem.  The washer is a Hotpoint WLW4700B.  I have removed the agitator by turning the tabs on the top about 30 deg and lifting the agitator off of the inner assembly.  The inner agitator assembly (which I think you refer to as the agitator bushing) has no obvious way of unlocking it.  I do not see any tabs that are mentioned in the previous advice (could you be referring to the tabs on the outer agitator assembly?) 

The inner assembly (picture attached) does have two small (~3/16") holes about 1/2 way up its height.  I probed the holes with an allen wrench but did not feel anything like an allen socket or screwdriver slot.  Is it pressed on the drive shaft?  Can I pull up on the skirt at the bottom?  How hard should I pull?

I don't want to break this part because it costs $95 on your parts website (and it isn't in stock). 

What am I missing?

Attached Files

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

That is the inner agitator, the hand wash one, if there is a screw in the center of the top, remove it, then it is just brute force to pull it up...we use an agitamer to remove these but you might put a strap or rope  under the bottom, attach it to a 2x4 and tap it up with a hammer...

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

Observe the technique of the master:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics